Do you think that every child molester should have to put up a sign on their door that says what they did?

I think it was the comedian Ron White who proposed that.

I dunno, I really have no opinion on the matter. What do you think?

caitxrawks

Asked by caitxrawks at 7:21 PM on May. 23, 2009 in Politics & Current Events

• think it depends on the offense
    Anonymous

• No because then they'd be a target of hate crimes
    Anonymous

• False sense of security. Nobody in your neighborhood has a sign on the door, people fall into the idea that it's a "safe" neighborhood. Doesn't mean the guy down the street isn't a molester who loves to have the neighborhood kids do yard work or stop to play with his dog and just hasn't been caught yet.
    NotPanicking

Answer by NotPanicking at 7:24 PM on May. 23, 2009

• Oooh good point NP :D
    caitxrawks

Answer by caitxrawks at 7:24 PM on May. 23, 2009

• They'd be murdered within a few weeks, IMO. While I do see the benefit of having that notification, I also would be afraid of vigilantism, or even worse, that perhaps an even increased fear of being caught would cause the percentage of molestations that end in murder to rise. Not sure if that's a reasonable concern, it's just what popped into my head.
    Collinsky

Answer by Collinsky at 7:26 PM on May. 23, 2009

• I would like to suggest they stick a BLINKING NEON sign on their front door/lawn!!!

Who cares how the MOLESTER feels!!! It SHOULD be what the CHILD that was MOLESTED feels!!
    The MOLESTER SHOULD have to deal with whatever comes their way...and stop picking on innocent children.
    LoriKeet

Answer by LoriKeet at 7:28 PM on May. 23, 2009

• Yeah, I agree with NP... pretty much everyone is a potential molester, I don't care who it is or how safe you think they are. Almost every victim of childhood sexual abuse is victimized by a family member or close friend of the family: someone they know, someone who was trusted. I see that a false sense of security is a big concern with this type of idea... thinking that someone who doesn't have the sign must therefore be safe, when that's necessarily the case at all.
    Collinsky

Answer by Collinsky at 7:30 PM on May. 23, 2009

• the problem is that not all sex offenders molest children like the 15 or 16 who has sex with a 14 year old and because 14 is under the age of consent in some states they can be made to become registered sex offenders when in reality they are not

Anonymous

• Having been the victim of a sick twisted father like this....actually much much more than just molestation....I say forgo the sign on the front of his door and mandate a large tattoo on the forehead. I'm not about to feel sorry for him getting some of his own karma right back at him. Not one little bit thank you kindly.
    Anonymous

• Lori Keet, I don't think anyone gives a flying flip about how the molesters feel about it. But if it doesn't make the world safer for our children, it's pretty pointless - and if it invites more violence, then that is a slippery slope that may end up making the world a more dangerous place FOR THEM. That's all I care about.
    Collinsky

Answer by Collinsky at 7:33 PM on May. 23, 2009