Are you for or against the legalization of marijuana? Even if they taxed it like alcohol and cigarettes?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 7:26 PM on May. 23, 2009 in Politics & Current Events

• Yep, I'm against it.
    Anonymous

• Yep...me too! :o)
    LoriKeet

Answer by LoriKeet at 7:34 PM on May. 23, 2009

• Insurance nightmare. Until they invent a way to accurately and CHEAPLY be able to determine how long its been since it was used, no employer will be able to afford workman's comp insurance unless they forbid their employees from using. Use on Friday night, or use on your break Monday morning, you are still failing the drug test that afternoon. If you are a regular user (as many would be if it were legal) the chances of you EVER passing the test are slim. While it would not be illegal, people would still lose their jobs over it, and with it being legal, employers would probably be more likely to test since it would increase their level of liability. All that matters is the bottom line and how many zeroes could come at the end of the potential lawsuit.
    NotPanicking

Answer by NotPanicking at 7:34 PM on May. 23, 2009

• Oh wow NP...I hadn't thought of that aspect of it! So true. It's not like alchol which leaves your system pretty fast. They will also probably do what they aretrying to do to smokers...make THEIR ins more expensive so as not to raise everyone elses. This is kind of like speed limits. They set the speed limits to 70 allowing for people going about 20 mph over. They wouldn't set it to 90mph b/c people would go over THAT. At least with it being illegal there is a sort of cap on it!
    Anonymous

• yes im against it . it is a stupid thing to do
    and i agree with NotPanicking
    Mrs.Owen86

Answer by Mrs.Owen86 at 8:14 PM on May. 23, 2009

• I agree with NP, though I think that if those things were not a factor (in a perfect world) then it should totally be legal.....or cigs and alcohol should be illegal. Smoking cigarettes and drinking are stupid things to do, too...and one could argue way more dangerous.
    PROGENITOR

Answer by PROGENITOR at 8:22 PM on May. 23, 2009

• I've always been for legalization, but Not Panicking has some pretty good points I hadn't thought of.
    mancosmomma

Answer by mancosmomma at 8:23 PM on May. 23, 2009

• I'm for legalization. I see NP's points but believe if the stigma were removed and it were easier for labs/companies to do testing with mj they could come up with a reliable method in good time, especially if it's profitable.

With mj being illegal we have no control at all, it's all in the hands of the dealers or cartels. Quality, quantity, profit..it's all on them. Legalization would actually help reduce related crime, increase tax revenues and make it harder for children to get. Prohibition made Al Capone, same with the leaders of todays drug cartels.

Friday

Answer by Friday at 8:39 PM on May. 23, 2009

• I see NP's points but believe if the stigma were removed and it were easier for labs/companies to do testing with mj they could come up with a reliable method in good time, especially if it's profitable.

Really, they should already have it. Look at the whole mess about the kid kicked out of prom because of her date being a medical user (the not bathing prior to showing up to prom issue nonwithstanding). Until they do, though, not many employers will want the risk.
    NotPanicking

Answer by NotPanicking at 8:42 PM on May. 23, 2009

• If its bad for you now legalizing it isn't going to make it any better and I dont want my kids growing up in a world where they CAN smoke drugs legally
    firethearson

Answer by firethearson at 8:48 PM on May. 23, 2009