Prisoners picking up trash at my children's school.....

So the prison questions brought something to mind. I am a SAHM and I pass my childrens school many times a day running errands and things. One day last year as I am driving by I see the orange jump suited prisoners out on the play yard picking up trash and stuff. I saw NO cop. I drove back by 3 times looking for the person who was suppossed to be watching them. NEVER saw them. So I go in the school (they know me I am pretty involved) and asked why there were prisoners cleaning the SCHOOL yard where there are unlocked entrances all over?" The office staff looks at me like I am the crazy one and says they are being watched. I said No, and they still looked at me like I was crazy for thinking this was crazy and tell me they do this all the time. I pulled my kids for the day and have since told them if they see those men there they are to call me. Does anyone else find this crazy? Interstate yes. School no!

momof030404

Asked by momof030404 at 7:27 PM on May. 23, 2009 in Politics & Current Events

• There's ALWAYS someone there to supervise them. If they are out in public, unchained then they did not commit a heinous crime and I see nothing wrong with it. If they're out doing that type of thing then they are low risk. You went overboard.
    Anonymous

• OOOOH!! I'd have done the same thing!!! It's one thing if it was done after school when the children are not there or on weekends/vacations/holidays/summer break....most definitely NOT during school hours--unless it's part of a "Scared Straight" program!!!

I'd be having a little "chat" with the Superintendent if I saw this happening again. :O)
    LoriKeet

Answer by LoriKeet at 7:32 PM on May. 23, 2009

• Ditto Anon 6:30
    Anonymous

• Over reacted.
    Anonymous

• I am not saying there WASN'T someone there, just that they were not as close as I think they should have been since it was a SCHOOL. This is a huge open field except for the gym which they were a good ways from, and maybe he was behind there. But supervisor or not do you really think it is appropriate for them to be there?

momof030404

Answer by momof030404 at 7:37 PM on May. 23, 2009

• I don't care what the offense inmates have no business at a school I could care less if they are watched or not I would be calling the new station and raising hell

Anonymous

• Oh and it's and elementary school.

momof030404

Answer by momof030404 at 7:38 PM on May. 23, 2009

• They are LOW RISK if they are there. It's not like they're going to let some sex offenders, child killers, and armed robbers on the school grounds. These people are due to be released soon, they're goign to be in the same streets as your children. Working in stores your children go to, etc. You are protective, I get that. But, soon these people will be UNSUPERVISED in public. WHo cares where they were picking up garbage.
    Anonymous

• I care how do you know they are not child molesters they just haven't gotten caught there are plenty of other places for them to pick up trash just not at my kids school

Anonymous

• and WHY does it HAVE to be done DURING SCHOOL HOURS?! Students get PLENTY of days off, I'm sure the prisoners could find time in their "busy schedules" to get the job done when the children aren't around!!! :o)
    LoriKeet

Answer by LoriKeet at 7:56 PM on May. 23, 2009