What is so wrong with Christians sharing what we believe with others?

After all, God tells us to "go into all the world and preach the Gospel". If you are a Christian, and choose not to tell others, you are in direct violation of what God says. I don't believe in pushing your beliefs on someone, but until you know that someone doesn't want to hear it, what's wrong with telling them about Christ? (or posting a "Christian" response in a group with mixed beliefs)
I read on here all the time that Christians should stop pushing their beliefs on others, and should be more tolerant. But, we belief that there is one way to God. Why can't people be tolerant of our beliefs?

beccare2000

Asked by beccare2000 at 8:04 PM on May. 23, 2009 in Religion & Beliefs

• I tolerate your beliefs, as I hope that you tolerate mine. I am not at all interested in hearing about yours.

Answer by rkoloms at 8:08 PM on May. 23, 2009

• See, there's a stark contrast between sharing your beliefs and shoving your beliefs in someone's face. I think calling us "un-believers" lost, sad, pathetic, hopeless, and confused is kinda offensive. I don't say Christians are all those things. I respect everyone's right to believe what they want to believe...but when you blatantly tell me that MY beliefs are wrong, then we have a problem.
    caitxrawks

Answer by caitxrawks at 8:08 PM on May. 23, 2009

• until you know that someone doesn't want to hear it

It's the assumption that you are the first one to ever tell someone about it. I can pretty much guarantee that if you are talking to a legal adult in the US or Europe they are very familiar with the idea already.

Do you want me to approach you and start teaching you, uninvited, about the Aesir? If you politely tell me no, and an hour later someone else approaches you and does the same thing, and then another and another, at what point do you become frustrated with the entire indoctrination component of our religion? (which, btw, does not actually exist. To do such a thing would be morally repugnant for us.)

When you have a dozen people each week or each day operating under the assumption that it's ok until they are explicitly told otherwise, the overall impression is one of pushiness.
    NotPanicking

Answer by NotPanicking at 8:10 PM on May. 23, 2009

• If you are respectful, I don't have a problem, but you need to stop if I ask you to.

Teachermom01

Answer by Teachermom01 at 8:12 PM on May. 23, 2009

• i dnt care, it is just the ones who say my beliefs are the reason why my life happened the way it did, kinda like i asked for it.
    BIMOM21

Answer by BIMOM21 at 8:15 PM on May. 23, 2009

• There is a difference between sharing your beliefs with others and pushing them on others. You shouldn't try to share your beliefs with someone if they aren't open to them.
    Buffie95

Answer by Buffie95 at 8:23 PM on May. 23, 2009

• If you ask if a person whats to hear and they say yes then by all means go for it. If you ask and they say no then you should respect their choice. It is the assumption that we have not heard it before and that you may have another way of spreading the word. ITA with NotPanicking. We say no thank you more times than we should. The key thing is please "ask first"
    pnwmom

Answer by pnwmom at 8:24 PM on May. 23, 2009

• OP maybe you should practice some of that tolerance yourself.
    Anonymous

• Sharing your beliefsis great as long as you allow others to do the same. If you will sit and  listen to a Pagan, Jew, Muslim, Atheist, or any one else explain their beliefs, then feel free to share yours. If you don't respect others by learning about their beliefs then don't expect that respect to be extended to you.

Anonymous

• "But, we belief that there is one way to God."

there are some of us who believe that there is more than one way to god. we don't want to hear about other people's beliefs!
    Anonymous