Getting urine smell out of my daughers bed?

My daughter doesnt have much of a problem with wetting the bed but occasionally it happens. She doesnt have a regular white mattress but a black one for a futon. I dont want to have to replace the whole thing or use something that may remove the color of the mattress.... Like bleach which I found suggested online. Any suggestions? It usually works pretty well to spray it with lysol but I am not sure if it is really helping or if it just me not smelling it anymore.

Thank you!

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 8:16 PM on May. 23, 2009 in School-Age Kids (5-8)

• My mom taught me this trick. Use cornstarch! Re-wet the spot and put cornstarch on it, let it set until dry then vacuum it off. It's always better to do it before it dries but re-wetting it will work.
    a_and_j_momma

Answer by a_and_j_momma at 8:19 PM on May. 23, 2009

• I've had luck with both vineger + baking soda and oder removers specifically for pet oders (Arm & Hammer's got a baking soda based one) ./
    TabathaM

Answer by TabathaM at 8:21 PM on May. 23, 2009

• For urine, you may have to get something that actually breaks the enzymes down to get the smell out, and not just mask it. There is something that Walmart and Target carry called Kids and Pets, its in the carpet cleaning isle I think. That's what we use. You could also call a professional carpet or rug cleaning place and buy some of their products.
    momjoy1027

Answer by momjoy1027 at 8:23 PM on May. 23, 2009

• Ooops,I misspelled daughter in the title! lol
    Anonymous

• I would replace the futon and use a vinyl cover to prevent it from happening again. I still have a cover on my 5 year old's mattress and he's NEVER had an accident.

(he will now that I said something, though! LOL)
    Anonymous

• sprinkle it with baking soda and spray vinegar; get it pretty damp, and let dry overnight.
    You can purchase a plastic mattress cover; it should work with a futon.

Answer by rkoloms at 8:39 PM on May. 23, 2009

• I have a customer who is a pamsco dealer (industril cleaners and supplies) He gave me a bottle of Liquid Alive Odor digester it breaks down enzymes-producing bacteria. It's the best. I think it's only like 5- 10 dollars but last forver. They recomend it for urine, mold, vomit, fecal matter, etc....... He even told me they use it where a dead body smell wont come out. It works!!!!
    April0040

Answer by April0040 at 9:41 PM on May. 23, 2009

• Set it out in the sun as often as you can, and you can try spraying with vinegar and water. Vinegar does stink at first but it is used to clean cat spray and coffee makers.
    Anonymous

• Peroxide, baking soda and a little dish soap. You have to soak it with it and then let it dry. The peroxide pulls out the odor. Works great on pet urine stains to.
    LovemygirlsPH

Answer by LovemygirlsPH at 11:59 PM on May. 23, 2009

• We used a product called Nix to remove urine smell from DD's carpet before she was potty-trained. It contains enzymes, and it works really well. You spray it on. If nothing else works, you may have to just replace it. Be sure to get one of those waterproof mattress pads for the next one.
    Iamgr8teful

Answer by Iamgr8teful at 12:30 AM on May. 24, 2009