Gradual transition, or just switch to milk at 12 months old.

I know my son should be switched to whole milk, but is it a gradual transition, or do I just switch him. He has alrd have dairy from having eaten yogurt and cottage cheese, and cheese...he's had no negative reaction from it at all. Any advice, I'm avoiding a trip to the Doc until I do his 12 month vaccinations, THANKS.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 8:39 PM on May. 23, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• With our son, since there was no reaction to the other dairy products that he had tried, we gradually introduced milk. I had pumped for the 1st year with him so when he was 11 months old I slowly introduced milk mixed with the breast milk. I started with just one ounce of milk in the bottle and slowly went up from there.
    IsaacMom2007

Answer by IsaacMom2007 at 8:43 PM on May. 23, 2009

• So is it ok to mix about 1 once of milk, with a few ounces of formula??
    Anonymous

• The World Health Organization, which is not influenced by the diary and formula industries the way American doctors are, recommends breastfeeding for a minimum of 24 months. We went from breastmilk to water, with enriched soymilk or ricemilk for cereal and cooking. Since we don't have a baby cow, we saw no reason to buy cow milk. Plant-based calcium is superior to animal based, as explained here: http://www.pcrm.org/health/prevmed/building_bones.html
    And there are better sources of good fats, like avocado and flax oil.

Answer by rkoloms at 8:46 PM on May. 23, 2009

• I gradually mixed the milk in, not so much because of reactions but to make it more comfortable for the baby, a similar taste.

Answer by Bmat at 8:46 PM on May. 23, 2009

• shut up rkoloms...you're like a broken record.
    Anonymous

• rkoloms, she formula feeds so back off and stay out of it if you can't actually answer a question.
    Anonymous

• rkoloms....IS THAT THE ONLY THING YOU KNOW HOW TO TYPE...I SWEAR ON MY LIFE THAT'S THE ONLY THING YOU EVER SAY NO MATTER WHAT THE QUESTION!!!!!!! That wasn't her question...Noone gives a crap about the WHO all the time....Im not going to BF for 2 years!!! Am I going to hell???? dammit. and FYI...there is NOTHING to ricemilk and too much soy is NOT good for you.....geez and you can only eat so many avocados....there is NOTHING wrong with MILK!!! AAACKKKK.
    Anonymous

• That's how much of a broken record she is.....doesn't even realize that she's NOT BFing......
    Anonymous

• We just switched them and there was no trouble. They took right to it.

The slow transition works for those kids who don't take right to it, or who may have had minor stomach issues before, I think.

Our pediatrician told us that since they were eating dairy products, they had no food sensitivities and there were no family allergies we could just switch them. We did and they did well.
    TiccledBlue

Answer by TiccledBlue at 9:13 PM on May. 23, 2009

• OH wait! Did you see where rkoloms claims she knows "more than medical doctors"?! She actually posted that phrase!
    Anonymous