how do you bathe toddler (washing hair and cleaning ears)?

my toddler is more active in the tub and its harder to wash his hair now. how do you wash your toddlers hair and rinse without getting water in the face and ears? also, how often and how do you clean ears?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 8:42 PM on May. 23, 2009 in Toddlers (1-2)

• I make a game out of washing his body, hair and ears. Make it fun for him. Ask him to show you different parts of his body for you to wash. Makes it a fun learning experience.

MorbidFraggle

Answer by MorbidFraggle at 9:06 PM on May. 23, 2009

• I just hold him still while I rub the shampoo into his hair, and then let him scream while I rinse it out...I try to make it as fast as possible so he's not unhappy too long, but usually he settles down the instant I stop pouring water over his head. He will eventually learn that it's not as bad as it seems, or to hold the washcloth up to his eyes and keep the water out.

I only clean his ears when I see a lot of buildup. He doesn't complain of earaches or anything and cleaning too often can irritate the ear.
    BisketLiss

Answer by BisketLiss at 9:13 PM on May. 23, 2009

• We've always showered them, so using the hand held shower while they're sitting it's a pretty quick process. They are just used to having water in their faces.
    TiccledBlue

Answer by TiccledBlue at 9:17 PM on May. 23, 2009

• Depends on how old your toddler is. Mine, he knows what I tell him to do now, and when i tell him to tilt his head back, he does it and sits still, but at first, there was a lot of crying because with him moving, he really got soap in his eyes that hurt. Just do it fast, and every day be consistent with the same phrase that lets them know what you are doing, eventually it gets better. And the ears, don't wait for stuff to come out of his/her ears, do it a couple times a week, at least. They always have buildup, like you do, no matter if it is coming out or not.
    samanthaevans

Answer by samanthaevans at 9:50 PM on May. 23, 2009

• I have the kids look up, close their eyes, and say "burble burble, toot toot, chicken airplane soldier" from a book about a frog learning to float :) it gets them talking so they're not breathing IN when i rinse.

ONLY clean the outer ear. Don't put anything in your kids' ears.
    TXdanielly

Answer by TXdanielly at 10:10 PM on May. 23, 2009

• We have a great pitcher that has a soft side that presses against her forehead while rinsing. I just tell her to look at the ceiling and then pour! None in her face!

Here is where I got the cup, but I think you can find them at Walmart too!

http://www.onestepahead.com/catalog/product.jsp?productId=442788&parentCategoryId=85180&categoryId=85201
    BritlovesAva

Answer by BritlovesAva at 10:49 PM on May. 23, 2009

• my son has been taking showers with daddy since he was 18 months, and he is now 28 months. he has never been afraid of the water, and when he wants to play in the tub, he loves to lay back in the water and put his face under. of course either me or my hubby are there, but he loves it, and we clean his ears about 2x a week. our 14 month old daughter screams the whole bath,and hates water, so we make it quick,and yes,water gets in her face, but she gets over it we also clean her ears 2x a week.
    HelloKitty86

Answer by HelloKitty86 at 3:12 AM on May. 24, 2009

• you really have to start when they are little and have them in a routain. my lil one lays down in the tub to wash her hair. try washing her before she can play.
    littlemoma520

Answer by littlemoma520 at 10:11 AM on May. 24, 2009

• I just wash my son's hair really quickly. The water in the face doesn't really bother him. And I clean his ears at least every other day.
    adg0114

Answer by adg0114 at 11:26 AM on May. 24, 2009

• At babies r us they have a "visor" that I have my daughter wear. That way I can rinse (we have a hand held shower head) while my daughter is playing and it keeps the water out of her ears and face.
    sondamom0828

Answer by sondamom0828 at 2:42 PM on May. 24, 2009