My 7 week old baby girl's poop is hard as rocks. She hasn't had a normal movement in days! Her stomach is really hard and she just cries in pain. Does anyone have any ideas how to help soften her poo????

bowlingracoon

Asked by bowlingracoon at 9:15 PM on May. 23, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• How is she being fed? Formula? Any cereal in her bottles? It's hard to recommend anything when we don't know what's going in.

If she's getting ANY cereal, stop it. You may also need to change formulas if that's what you're giving her.

Answer by gdiamante at 9:16 PM on May. 23, 2009

• I agree....DO Not give any type of rice or oatmeal at that age if you are......she may need the sensitive brand for her tummy...I would call the pedi and ask for suggestions since she's so little and WE don't know the exact situation....

Poor baby...hope she's better soon
    calliesmommie

Answer by calliesmommie at 9:18 PM on May. 23, 2009

• Use kero syrup it works very well. Use 1/2 teaspoon. She will poop with in4 hours just mix it in her bottle. Have you tried gas drops? those may relieve the gas.
    raemommy

Answer by raemommy at 9:18 PM on May. 23, 2009

• If she is on formula, I would put her on something else. Ask her Pedi.
    azn_ladie82

Answer by azn_ladie82 at 9:19 PM on May. 23, 2009

• And rememeber too much iron can cause constipation.
    MrsLeftlane

Answer by MrsLeftlane at 9:22 PM on May. 23, 2009

• Some say a little bit of Karo syrup may loosing her up. I would definatly call her doctor or even one of those ask a nurse hotlines before acting on it. The cereal thing is true!! Her little belly isn't really ready for that yet. Good luck!!!
    Jillybeans24

Answer by Jillybeans24 at 9:22 PM on May. 23, 2009

• Give her a glycerol suppository or 1/2 pear juice and water
    Anonymous

• Try 1 teaspoonful of brown sugar in 1 oz of water a few times a day. I know our parents did it, but don't use Karo syrup since it can cause botulism (food poisoning) in babies since it isn't pasteurized. Also try the "colic hold" - laying baby face down along your arm and gently swaying. Sometimes this help relieve the pressure on the belly. A swing or warm bath may also help. Using a rectal thermometer to provide "rectal stimulation" is often used by doctors, but don't try yourself without consulting them first. As a last resort, a formula switch or changes to mom's diet (if nursing) may be necessary.
    McDiane

Answer by McDiane at 9:25 PM on May. 23, 2009

• She is on formula. Soy formula to be exact. She was breast fed for 4 weeks and then put on formula. She was going fine when we first put her on formula, but not now.

Things I've tried...
    Prune juice mixed in water
    Doing a rectal temp
    Moving her legs to help her move it out.

My SIL is a nurse and suggested the prune juice, but so far it hasn't helped, and I don't want to give her more then .5 ounces in water a day.
    bowlingracoon

Answer by bowlingracoon at 9:26 PM on May. 23, 2009

• Look, I recently went through the same thing. My daughter is seven months old, and has really hard poops at times, and cries when she does finally go. It would be three days and I would have to give her a suppository. I finally found something that works for her, and maybe you can try it. I give her prunes every day, just a little, in her first bottle. Then I mix wheat cereal ONLY, with JUICE, and feed that to her when I have her first sit down meal of the day, normally around nine or ten am, depending. And then, her next meal, when I give her baby food, I put wheat cereal in it, not much, just enough that it is a bit thicker, and give that to her around five. She is finally going like clock work. I was crying over this for a long time. Hope this helps....
    samanthaevans

Answer by samanthaevans at 9:44 PM on May. 23, 2009