Hello, I am new to this but am in hopes for some good input...A typical 8 year old has never had any issues, then her parents get a divorce. Now all the sudden she supposudly has bi polar and adhd. My question is this: Is it very likely that she really has these issues, and how safe are all these meds she's taking? It seems to just suck the life right out of her.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 9:36 PM on May. 23, 2009 in School-Age Kids (5-8)

• THERE ARE ALTERNATIVES!
    I'm not sure about bipolar. But for ADHD there are many alternatives. Change her diet and make sure to give her plenty of stimulating activity. Studies show that dyes in food, glueten and other things can change a child's behavior. I hope you have your child in thereapy. It sounds like she needs it.
    Wishing you and your little girl the best.
    outstandingLove

Answer by outstandingLove at 9:40 PM on May. 23, 2009

• Has she been diagnosed or are these teacher's guessing she may have ADHD and all?
    TXdanielly

Answer by TXdanielly at 9:42 PM on May. 23, 2009

• that is just so sad I have no words to use emotionally, poor child. If i were her i'd never want pills, that's just an insult to injury on top of already feeling guilty, left out, probably thinks it's her fault, or she isn't supposed to pick sides, etc. I am sure she is beside herself and needs some hugs. If anyone she is close to knows she is getting medicated tell her prescriber and let them know it's burying her self control, and it may make her dangerously vulnerable and create introversion. Being introverted is like having someone pulling your brain out when it's created by meds. IT's DRUGS> we should not take this lightly . Someone would do a good deed to report this and account it to the parents bad decision making on some rocky ground. She should come first not them. SORRY!
    coffeeyum

Answer by coffeeyum at 9:43 PM on May. 23, 2009

• My husband is in regulatory affairs for the pharm company that makes the most popular sellers on the market for ADHD meds. he has told me countless times that if our son was to ever be "diagnosed" with ADD or ADHD that he would not allow him to take these medications because of all the adverse affects that he deals with. We would look in to other alternatives.I am sorry I had to post anon I never do but my husband doesnt like me to talk about it since he works with high profile info.
    Anonymous

• I can't really address the meds, I think it's up to the parents to decide that, although I would try anything and everything else first. But as to her actually having the issues, I do know that bipolar can go undiagnosed for years, and the person will seem as though they have no issues, until a stressful event triggers an episode. So, I think it is entirely possible that she could have been bipolar, and the parents divorcing triggered an episode. I also know (I have many family members with bipolar) that bipolar generally does need to be treated with meds, but from what I understand there are SOME alternatives that could be tried.
    The ADHD I'd be a bit more leery of. ADHD usually is something that is very noticable, and most of the time, it goes on for a very long time before the child goes to the dr and gets diagnosed. So, if she was not having problems before the divorce, I'd say she's probably not ADHD. Just my opinion.
    tropicalmama

Answer by tropicalmama at 8:44 AM on May. 24, 2009

• I would loos for a second opinion. 1st if she was bipolar and ADD she would have had these symptoms before the divorce. 2nd, if they are making her feel like a zombie they are not working properly and she either needs to have them adjusted or a change in diagnosis or something. I think maybe just general counseling for the problems with the divorce may do better than the drugs. Find her anew Dr if the one she has now isn't listening to reason.
    AK_aries

Answer by AK_aries at 10:52 AM on May. 24, 2009

• I would seriously seek 2nd and 3rd opinions esp. if the issues were not around b/f hand. Post-traumatic stress can seem very similar but can be treated diff. also I'd be apt to try teaching how to deal/controll behavior and stress b/f or at the very least along with meds.
    MamiJaAyla

Answer by MamiJaAyla at 11:44 AM on May. 24, 2009

• the adhd medication is bad for her, my husband read about it when his son's mother was giving it to him and she probably is still giving it to him, but the adhd meds, work for a while but miss up the kids insides and makes them shorter then they are meant to be. i don't think that she has any problems but that she wants someway to lash out her own opinion and thought on the divorce and wants to be heard i say that she is being a child, she doesn't have issues, other then wanting her parents.
    sherlockhlm

Answer by sherlockhlm at 8:08 PM on May. 24, 2009

• I think she is just trying to adjust to the situation with her parents not being together. I was around that age when my parents split and it is hard for a kid that age to go through.
    kimberly197830

Answer by kimberly197830 at 10:09 AM on May. 25, 2009