ASL Interpreters

I used to interpret (ASL- American Sign Language) and it was a decent paying job, but I do not have a degree. I have found this area to be extremely wanting for interpreters.

Now, i did get a job once without the degree, but honestly, I want it because I want to be a better signer and feel I earned my wage. Has anyone taken classes at home or in the classroom for their interpreter's license?

TXdanielly

Asked by TXdanielly at 9:38 PM on May. 23, 2009 in Money & Work

• Out of curiousity, how'd you get the job without the schooling? Where I live you can't do that or I would totally be interpreting (my best friend of 19 years is deaf...I've been signing most of my life). I would assume that you couldn't really do much at home since it's all pretty much visual teaching. I have taken a few of the classes just for fun (my university didn't have a program). If you already know ASL, you could probably take a placement test and you may place out of the program entirely!
    beadingmom17

Answer by beadingmom17 at 11:46 PM on May. 23, 2009

• A friend of a friend got me the interview (a God thing). I showed up, and the school principal and others were there to interview me and an interpreter was there to watch me as I voiced and signed my answers. I only had the credentials that my older sister was deaf and I have been signing all of my life. Not necessarily the right way though- I think I have a mix of english and ASL.

If I studied hard, maybe I could place out of a couple courses. Good idea, thanks.
    TXdanielly

Answer by TXdanielly at 7:38 PM on May. 24, 2009