Tell your kids to MOVE!

Ok mini rant question: why is it that so many parents let their kids get in the way when you're out (shopping, walking, whatever) and don't say anything? I can't tell you how many times I get stuck behind some oblivious kid who sees me and doesn't move. Several times, I'll say "excuse me" politely but loud enough for the parent to hear, and the kid with either stare or barely move. Recently, I was at the store and some woman let her kid take a scooter down this packed aisle. There was actually a line to get into the aisle and she let her dumba** kid ride around- he was old enough to know better. An employee had to tell her to get her kid out of there and she barely reacted then. ARGH. I try to be understanding- none of us are perfect- but seriously! Ladies, teach your kid to be aware of their surroundings!

mrs_pulley

Asked by mrs_pulley at 9:44 PM on May. 23, 2009 in General Parenting

• I always want to stick out my leg and trip the little rugrats.

Answer by rkoloms at 9:47 PM on May. 23, 2009

• I try to be patient--I know that sometimes my kids get in people's way & hold them up for a few minutes before I can get them out of the way. But the parents who just don't care really bug me. I'm very nice, but when the parents just can't be bothered, I really want to smack that parent. I don't blame the kids, they obviously have not been taught any manners.
    funnyface1204

Answer by funnyface1204 at 9:50 PM on May. 23, 2009

• I don't know but it happens to me a lot too. If my kids are in the way I usually see it before someone says something. I will tell my kids to move. If they don't start moving right away I yank them out of the way. They seem to be getting the message, lol.
    sadira29

Answer by sadira29 at 9:50 PM on May. 23, 2009

• Wow. But on the flip side, I always feel bad when i walk by and say excuse me to the little toddlers and instead of teaching their kids how to move over, the other mothers are like "MOVE out of the ladies WAY" like the kid did something wrong. They have to learn.
    TXdanielly

Answer by TXdanielly at 9:51 PM on May. 23, 2009

• I'm with you. I especially dislike it when they see you walking and at the last minute decide to walk right in front of you to get to the other side.
    Anonymous

• They're kidssssss ladies!
    TXdanielly

Answer by TXdanielly at 10:08 PM on May. 23, 2009

• I just have a problem with these sneaker-skate shoes... the ones that have some kind of wheel on them. Whoever invented them should get a swift kick! Sorry I needed to vent...
    Anonymous

• I don't have a problem with toddlers. They really don't know better even when taught. They have to practice a million times before they get it. So I look at it as they are in training for manners. A learning opportunity. I am not usually irked by kids. Only by parents of children who encourage their children to make poor choices. Like telling them to go knock that kid over and punch them hard until they don't get up - teaching them to be a bully with the intention of trying to teach them to be assertive. There is a difference between being assertive and being just flat out an aggressive pain. But I have seen really kind kids for the most part.
    frogdawg

Answer by frogdawg at 11:42 PM on May. 23, 2009

• oh yah, I don't mind the really little ones. I'm talking about the kids who should know better. Conversely, I also hate when moms about tear them out of their shoes to get them out of the way. Of course there's a balance, but I'm still amazed by how oblivious parents and kids can be!
    mrs_pulley

Answer by mrs_pulley at 9:32 AM on May. 24, 2009

• I could say I agree but I know that my son has sometimes not moved quick enough when we are out and about when I am concentrating on paying the cashier or tending to my younger son..
    That being said, I have seen parents just totally ignore their childs behavior and it aggitates me as well.
    BSFreeMama

Answer by BSFreeMama at 12:12 PM on May. 24, 2009