If your MIL/SO's mom doesn't like you at first, is the relationship doomed?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 9:58 PM on May. 23, 2009 in Relationships

• no, my mil hates me, she even told my husband dont worry about me or his child. cause we dont matter she should be his only concern, he chose to stay with me and were still going strong 4 years later.
    Anonymous

• no, my MIL hated me and I mean hated me, she tried to get my son taken away, got me fired from 2 jobs and tried to break me and her son up many time but we are good friends now, there is always hope aslong as both of you wanna work on it
    Anonymous

• No. she can learn to love you/ live with you.
    TXdanielly

Answer by TXdanielly at 10:03 PM on May. 23, 2009

• There is hope! My grandmother didn't like my mother at first, because she preferred dad's ex-girlfriend. It worked out for them and they ended up being very close.
    Lesli

Answer by Lesli at 10:05 PM on May. 23, 2009

• I don't think my MIL was over the moon about me because she felt like I took her baby away from her . My husband moved to the states to marry me and left his family behind in Holland. They visit every year, sometimes several times a year and the first few years were hard. However, the moment I spit out our youngest daughter (our and I say our because he's been in her life since she was 2.5yrs old but our oldest is from my 1st marriage) she began to realize my behind wasn't going anywhere and she had to really try no longer just for her son's sake but also because now I gave her here first biological grand child. She made more of an effort to get along with me and you know what so did I and it's been almost 4 yrs since our mutual effort to try to get along better has begun and it's been pretty good since then.

Now, when she comes to visit not only do the kids and hubby get spoiled but now so do I.
    Ladybugkisses76

Answer by Ladybugkisses76 at 10:18 PM on May. 23, 2009

• My MIL got over her hatred for me once she realized that I would be the one having to take care of her son (a childish, 30yo).
    Anonymous

• lol @ anon 10:56!
    I love my mil almost as good as my own mother. I would do anything for her.
    Damions_mom

Answer by Damions_mom at 2:48 AM on May. 24, 2009

• If that were the case I wouldn't be married 17 years! :D She'll learn to live with you. It changes once you have children, she has a higher tolerance for me now. Some days. :D
    Austinsmom35

Answer by Austinsmom35 at 10:33 AM on May. 24, 2009