Has anyone ever had to fill out a background check for a school fieldtrip?

My daughter class is going to a waterpark about a hour and 30 minutes from school and Friday the teacher sent a background check form for my DH and I to fill out and I felt it to be weird because I never heard of any background check forms until now,so I called the teacher and asked and her reply was because the class is going to the water park far away for 8 hours it was the school new policy but I worked for the school district as a teacher and secretary and they never asked me for a background check.The teacher also stated all parents attending the trip would have to fill out the forms or they will not be able to attend.I have a clean background(thank God)but I just don't understand the meaning of a background check ,then on another aspect I kinda can see the cautions and dangers of things.Has anyone ever had to fill out a background check form for going on a field trip with their kid(s)??????????????????????????/

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 10:37 PM on May. 23, 2009 in Travel

• Our kids school checks all volunteers for registered sex offender or violent crimes. Then you get a special badge to where.
    April0040

Answer by April0040 at 10:40 PM on May. 23, 2009

• The school where I teach requires it for anyone volunteering at the school to work with students. That includes chaperones for trips.

Very rarely are people turned away.  If you have a minor offense or an old offense you are usually cleared to go by the district.  I assume most people with more serious offenses don't apply in the first place.

I know it's an inconvenience, but think about who you'd want with your child on a field trip.  Just like employees are screened, we need to make no one dangerous is around the students.

MAUREEN55

Answer by MAUREEN55 at 10:42 PM on May. 23, 2009

• Thank you for the answers.I do understand because my DD does NOT go anywhere unless I go. I would not want just anyone around my DD but some people have done things and have not got caught but it is better to be safe than sorry.My concern was why the school district not ask for a background check when I worked for them and volunteered??????????????? My DH and I are turning in the forms next week when school returns but I was just wondering why these forms are just now being presented to us,it seems backwards,maybe there was a situation and they just started as a new policy?The teacher did say it was a new policy.
    Anonymous

• I've had to fill out background checks to be able to volunteer in my child's pre-k classroom at the school as well as to go on ANY of their field trips. This just started this year in our school as far as I know.
    AprilDJC

Answer by AprilDJC at 3:37 AM on May. 24, 2009

• I have never heard of a background check being mandatory for parent volunteers. For a waterpark trip I would expect to have to sign a liability release form and an emergency medical authorization form for my child.
    It is a good thing that all parents don't feel the way that you do, about not letting their children go anywhere without them, otherwise they would need double the amount of busses.

Answer by rkoloms at 5:35 AM on May. 24, 2009

• Absolutely, everyone must have a background check, you aren't just around your kids, but other peoples as well.. doesn't it make you feel better that the other people there have had background checks too? - we are at a DODEA school (military) and that was one of the first things to get done- no one even questions the need here.
    Angelbluewingsz

Answer by Angelbluewingsz at 5:53 AM on May. 24, 2009

• I refuse to answer those forms. They don't want me I don't go period.

It's a school trip for crying outloud. Give me a break schools are getting absolutely rediculous.

Kathleen
    Kathleen1

Answer by Kathleen1 at 7:33 AM on May. 24, 2009

• I totally understand the background check. I don't want my kid going on a field trip all day with a registered sex offender, or a felon.

You answered your own question regarding why you didn't have to do it when you volunteered in the past, you said the teacher said it's the school's NEW policy.

Kathleen, you won't think it's so "rediculous" (it's RIDiculous btw) if your kid gets molested in the bathroom of the water park by the "volunteer" that just got out of prison for kiddie porn will you???
    AnnieMcD

Answer by AnnieMcD at 8:15 AM on May. 24, 2009

• Kathleen, sadly, these background checks ARE necessary nowadays because of all the pedophiles and creeps out there, although I wish they weren't!! My husband and I help teach 3rd and 4th grade Sunday School and we had to get criminal background checks done recently. Anyone at our church who even remotely works with children has to get them done. I didn't mind filling out the forms to insure the safety of the children; I just find it sad that it's necessary these days. We live in a sick, scary world!!
    Bethsunshine

Answer by Bethsunshine at 8:16 AM on May. 24, 2009

• I didnt know they did that. I guess its been awhile since I have been on a field trip with my kids. Mine are already out of school for the year. I guess I understand and I wouldnt have any problems with it. I wouldnt want my child around such a person, but I also don't believe in being paranoid either. I am curious if our schools do that.
    momofsaee

Answer by momofsaee at 8:27 AM on May. 24, 2009