if I can turn off my airbag is there any other reason not to put my baby in the front seat in his carseat?

Christina2135

Asked by Christina2135 at 10:40 PM on May. 23, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• It's not against the law if you have no air bag, but it's still not as safe as the back seat. The baby is mostly surrounded by cushioned seats in the back, and in the front surrounded by glass windows, and hard plastic. If someone crashed in to the side of the car, then the chances of it harming your baby are high. In the middle of the back seat, they are a lot lower.
    Anonymous

• It's dangerous.

The safest place for a baby is in the middle of the back seat.
    caitxrawks

Answer by caitxrawks at 10:41 PM on May. 23, 2009

• It is one of the most dangerous places in your car in case of an accident, so yes, there is a reason not to use it for your baby! Back seat, rear facing as long as you can is safest!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I would use the middle part of the back seat, just in case of a side impact.........
    MomAgainAgain

Answer by MomAgainAgain at 10:42 PM on May. 23, 2009

• I know people say its dangerous, but whats so dangerous about it? Why is it so much more dangerous than the back?
    Christina2135

Answer by Christina2135 at 10:44 PM on May. 23, 2009

• i really hope you're kidding. why would you even want to?
    LishaBee

Answer by LishaBee at 10:46 PM on May. 23, 2009

• LishaBee, at one point I considered this too because when we're in the car alone it's a lot less difficult to tend to the baby in the front than in the back seat. I even asked a question on it and decided to just keep my LO in the back seat. I considered it because when I was driving it was a bit distracting to reach in the back seat and give a bottle, paci etc. I know people say "pull over," but the night I considered it was when I was on a road surrounded by woods and water at night, and there's really no place to pull over and plus it creeped me out to pull over, but instead I just make sure to feed the baby before we leave and if he cries, I just have to let him sometimes.
    Anonymous

• ...thats not being critical, it's an honest question. just think of an accident situation- baby in the front seat.. glass shattering very close on 2 sides of the carseat, side impact- no cushioning. in the back in the middle, where recommended, cushion everywhere- glass can shatter but its further away, gets the least amount of impact. were you not expecting the answers that you got? use your head, why take out an airbag when theres a perfectly safe seat in the back.
    LishaBee

Answer by LishaBee at 10:54 PM on May. 23, 2009

• When I was testing for my ASE I learned that flipping the switch to turn off the airbags does not always work. A severe enough impact can trigger it anyways. You would actually need to have the airbag removed from the dash. It's most dangerous to put a baby in the front because most accidents are front end collisions. This means that everything under the hood has a higher chance of coming into the passanger cabin. If you were to be involved in a side imapact collision the baby would be right next to the door. If you can avoid putting your baby next to a door it is best to do so.
    sk_tennyson

Answer by sk_tennyson at 10:55 PM on May. 23, 2009

• Anon- convenience shouldnt be a reason to put your babys life at risk. its great that you decided to keep your LO in the back, but (as we all well know) life with a baby can be very trying at times and even though s/he cries in the backseat- eventually they'll either stop or wait until you're in a lighted area to pull over.. or pull over anyway, lock your doors, and hop to the back over the seat :P
    LishaBee

Answer by LishaBee at 10:57 PM on May. 23, 2009

• it's ILLEGAL in some states to put babies in the front seat!! in these states it doesn't matter if you have an airbag or not!!!
    Anonymous