sleeping positions

my daughter is a little over a month old and has never liked sleeping on her back even though the doctor recommends it.Is it ok thay she sleeps on her side or should i make her sleep on her back?

alaina_20

Asked by alaina_20 at 10:45 PM on May. 23, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• No it is ok for her to sleep on her side, they make a positioned thing at walmart for babies to sleep on there side and tummy when they are that young it is about $15
    Anonymous

• Having your baby sleep on her back is safest. I got a monitor that measures baby's movement. If there was no movements or breathing for like 20 seconds, the alarm would sound. Made me sleep better knowing baby was breathing! Get one....AngelCare BebeSounds.....I used it with all my three kids and just removed it today, funny enough.....May baby is too old for it now.... I will find someone who wants it and who can put it to good use now....They are like a 100 dollars, I think....BabiesRUs sells them.....Or at least they used to....
    MomAgainAgain

Answer by MomAgainAgain at 10:49 PM on May. 23, 2009

• my daughter would only sleep on her stomach on a wedge for the first 3 months of her life- awful, i know. we shared a mattress on the floor in our living room so i could watch her every night. the risk of SIDS is much higher any position other than the back, but it's ultimately your call. some babies just wont sleep on their backs- trust yourself in whatever decision you make :)
    LishaBee

Answer by LishaBee at 10:49 PM on May. 23, 2009

• When my kids were babies 1993 & 1997 they said to put them on their side. I don't think they really know cause they are always changing it. I would think it would be dangerous on the back, if they were to vomit. At least on their side it will come out of their mouth. I did roll up a receiving blanket like a long noodle to prop them up so they didn't roll onto the tummy.
    April0040

Answer by April0040 at 10:49 PM on May. 23, 2009

• My daughter has slept on her stomach since she was about a month old.

No complaints here, she's slept soundly through the night since two months old.

I wouldn't recommend it for *everyone*, but sometimes ya gotta do what ya gotta do, yanno?
    caitxrawks

Answer by caitxrawks at 10:54 PM on May. 23, 2009

• My son wouldn't sleep on his back. Period. We tried several times, but two seconds after I laid him in the crib he'd wake up screaming. If I put him down stomach first he slept like a log. He still rolls himself over and sleeps on his stomach... like several previous posters, I say whatever works best for your baby. (I totally agree with the sleeping on the back becoming a risk with vomiting...the idea of my baby drowning in his own vomit because I'd put him down on his back!) GL!
    BisketLiss

Answer by BisketLiss at 11:01 PM on May. 23, 2009

• DD would not sleep on her back either. She slept on her side because she had easy access to my nipple. I would never recomend this position if you dont' co-sleep or have the Angel Care monitor. SIDS is too scary to me.
    MoonLover06

Answer by MoonLover06 at 11:25 PM on May. 23, 2009

• my dd sleeps however, but i do remember letting her sleep on my chest on her tummy for a couple weeks after one time she did spit up sleeping on her back and almost drowned, so glad i got that mommy instinct thing, husband thought i was crazy when i took off running from outside on our back patio into the bassinet that was right by the glass doors, i couldnt see her the way i was sitting but i just knew something was wrong, now shes fine though. just do what you feel is right.
    LA09TKP

Answer by LA09TKP at 12:00 AM on May. 24, 2009

• I let my son sleep on his belly when he could pick his head up good. Probably 3 months old.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 12:16 AM on May. 24, 2009

• Try the positioners for side laying, just make sure you put them around the middle and not up around the head, they can smother them. Also, try the positioner that has the baby sleeping on their back, but with the head elevated a bit. My son had reflux and that seemed to help it a little. he rolls all over the place now in his crib. At some point you just have to let them get comfortable and keep checking on them. Welcome to sleepless motherhood.
    cjbj08

Answer by cjbj08 at 12:44 AM on May. 24, 2009