my 6 month old son has his 1st cold. he has a bad cough. what can i do to help him.

michele101183

Asked by michele101183 at 11:00 PM on May. 23, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• really there is nothing to give him he needs to see the doc asap so that they can write a med for him
    Anonymous

• a cool mist humidifier can help.
    r_elizabeth2290

Answer by r_elizabeth2290 at 11:03 PM on May. 23, 2009

• antibiotics don't help with colds because a cold is a virus not a bacteria. the dr might still be a good idea but they prob won't prescribe meds.
    r_elizabeth2290

Answer by r_elizabeth2290 at 11:05 PM on May. 23, 2009

• Poor kiddo :( Vicks has a great baby bath wash that helps break up coughs.. push the fluids, humidifier, and fresh air.. it will probably sound a lot worse before it gets better, but the cough is great when it's productive.. maybe some tylenol if it's really bad- might get a sore throat.. good luck!
    LishaBee

Answer by LishaBee at 11:08 PM on May. 23, 2009

• Little noses nasal spray works wonders, yes your baby might be coughing, but the nasal spray will help get rid of some of the mucus, and help him breathe better. Its only like 2 bucks at walmart, and then use a nasal aspirator thing to help clear it out!!
    HaviksMum

Answer by HaviksMum at 12:37 AM on May. 24, 2009

• I use baby vicks on the chest and feet, suck the nose out, warm menthol bath helps a lot and Triaminic makes a vapor fan that is awesome...It's like 7 bucks at target or babies r us....and they have a homeopathic "medication" that is meant for newborns to 2 since they can't take anything....it's at babies r us and it's called Safe care cold and flu relief and it has helped my dd a lot....if there's a fever I alternate tylenol and motrin....and that's about all I can think of....It's hard when they get their first cold, I went to Target and bought everything I possible could find :)....good luck and I hope he's feeling better soon.
    calliesmommie

Answer by calliesmommie at 2:25 AM on May. 24, 2009

• My 11 week old has his first cold now too. The doctor told me that with babies, unlike adults, their colds usually last 11-14 days-ish. I got a cheap $17 humidifier at Target, make him sleep propped up, and use a salt water mixture up his nose, followed by the booger sucker thing. It wasn't getting any better, so took him back to the doc, turns out he has double ear infection, so he's now on Amoxicillin. He doesn't seem cranky at all though.
    irishangel81

Answer by irishangel81 at 2:56 PM on May. 24, 2009