Has anyone paid for thier preg dr visits and hospital stay?

We missed the cut off date to get coverage throughmy dh work by 2 days! I thought you signed up in Dec and started in Jan, turns out you sign up in Nov, they start pulling money in Dec and covg starts in jan. ugh. We don't qualify for medicaid bu $341 a month. Sooo looks like this preg/oops is coming out of pocket (by the way JUST shelled out $600 for Dh a vas....made the appt as soon as I got BFP and we emptied out savings for it). Has anyone ever had to do this? How does it work? Were you paying for the baby forever? Did you get good medical care and things like u/s?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 11:06 PM on May. 23, 2009 in Pregnancy

• Maybe ask your dh's employer to cut his work hours a few days per month until after the baby comes. Then get a letter from his employer stating that they had to cut hours.

May09mommy, Geez I feel for you sweetie!!!!

susanna71

Answer by susanna71 at 10:40 AM on May. 24, 2009

• I got medicaid. There is no way I could pay out of pocket. My son's hospital stay alone was $12000!!! He had to stay in the NICU unexpectedly for 2 days. That isn't even including my care.
    LaurenKaye29

Answer by LaurenKaye29 at 11:10 PM on May. 23, 2009

• Is there anyway you can get on your DH's health plan under a "change in family status"?
    abs0726

Answer by abs0726 at 11:16 PM on May. 23, 2009

• I don't think so. I called and talked to the woman about the situation b/c Coverage starts in Jan and I am due Jan 8th so I was thinking maybe the Hosp stay could at least be covered but thats when I thought covg started in Dec, Jan is cutting it WAY too close! She said there was nothing she could do.

$12000...really?! OMG! I may hypervintilate now!

Anonymous

• Check into the program called AIM (i am not sure what it stands from but if you google "AIM medical coverage" you should find it) I am not sure if it is just for Cali or not but it was GREAT! I didnt qualify for Medi-Cal (Cali's medicaid) but I did qualify for AIM. They have an income guideline you have to fall into... lets say its $3000-$4000 a month (its not but that is just an example) and you make $3500 a month... you will pay $500 (the difference from the min qualification and what you make) over the course of a year! They pay for ALL of your prenatal, the birth and 60 days post pardem for you, 1 year for the baby and an additional 1 year for only $50 more! I hope they have it all over the US because it was GREAT! Not only was it great, it was actually Health Net which is a private insurance so nobody knows you are low income! It was GREAT good luck!!
    Jaydin_Makenna

Answer by Jaydin_Makenna at 11:29 PM on May. 23, 2009

• damn, I just googled it and its only in cali and considering you called it Medicaid, I know you arent from here because its not called that here:( Hopefully they have something like that in your state. Call Medicaid and ask where you could call for health coverage because that is how I found out about AIM, I tried to apply for Medi-Cal but I didnt qualify and they told me about AIM. I know my labors were $6000 just for the doc and that doesnt include the hospital or any of the equipment or anything for the baby!! I would bet its about $25000 for a labor, delivery & 2 day hospital stay:( Do you have a health & birth center there? If you could do a birth like that it would be a lot cheaper ( I personally would never do one but its always an option) Not to mention prenatal appts are about $150 each and a normal pregnancy has about 10 appts, so thats another $1500 plus ultrasounds
    Jaydin_Makenna

Answer by Jaydin_Makenna at 11:36 PM on May. 23, 2009

• Did you look into any discount programs? When I was pregnant with my first I didn't have insurance and was not sure if I qualified for medicaid. I remember there being discount cards or programs you can enroll in. I am not sure how much they cost or if they are a rip off, but it is something you can look into. Good Luck.

lilysmom2607

Answer by lilysmom2607 at 12:00 AM on May. 24, 2009

• i am $56000 in debt from my pregnancy and emergency c-section and stay in hospital. i missed medicaid by 9dollars, good luck, im 20 and will be paying for my daughter for the next 20-30 years
    mayo9mommy

Answer by mayo9mommy at 3:15 AM on May. 24, 2009

• In michigan we have 2 different types of medicaid.......... healthy kids is basically straight medicaid for kids and pregnant women. Income guidelines. IF u don't qualify cause of income...... then u can be put on a a deductible case....... also if u don't qualify for the deductible case then there is always MI child..........its blue cross basically and u pay only 10 dollars a month to have it. ITs for kids and pregnant women. Maybe ur state has something like this ???
    sassy_sweet_blu

Answer by sassy_sweet_blu at 5:56 PM on May. 24, 2009

• we paid out of pocket every doctor's visit. it was hard, but, we did it.
    Safirejewl

Answer by Safirejewl at 3:03 PM on May. 25, 2009