Will you or do you teach your children...

the religion that you believe in or are you allowing them to grow up and make the decision on their own?

StefanieN84

Asked by StefanieN84 at 11:07 PM on May. 23, 2009 in Religion & Beliefs

• I'm a Universalist, so technically I believe in all of the religions. As long as my son makes an educated, informative decision about what he believes, and what he's rejecting, I don't care what path he takes. I want to teach him as much as I can about all of them, so that he may make the best choice for him, and so that he may best respect and understand those who choose different paths than him. All I hope for him is that he be compassionate and understanding, and that he do what is best for him. Spirituality is very personal, and I'm not here to force him - I'm here to guide him and to encourage him. Its my job to open the door and to help him decide things for himself, not to push anything on him...
    =)
    bandgeek521

Answer by bandgeek521 at 11:51 PM on May. 23, 2009

• We're going to let her grow up and make her own decisions. We'll answer any questions she has to the best of our abilities. We don't want her to feel oppressed by religion like we did as kids.
    caitxrawks

Answer by caitxrawks at 11:09 PM on May. 23, 2009

• We talk about God but no religion. I was raised Catholic and am now a spiritualist. I want them to find their own belief whether it's Buddhism, Judaism, Christianity.
    jeanclaudia

Answer by jeanclaudia at 11:09 PM on May. 23, 2009

• We talk to the kids about different beliefs, but ultimately the choice will be theirs. Our family is very eclectic- I'm a Buddhist with Christian roots, dh has Hindu roots but is an atheist/humanist. We feel we would be doing the kids a disservice by telling them that 3/4 of their family is the 'wrong' religion (because if we taught that only one was right, wouldn't we be telling them that everyone else is wrong?) So far we've had lots of interesting conversations about religion, ultimately I'm not sure what the kids will end up following but I will support them regardless.
    Freela

Answer by Freela at 11:10 PM on May. 23, 2009

• If you think about no one can choose a religion for someone else. Many people who raise their kids to believe one thing end up putting up a wall up between themselves and their kids. My grandma raised all 6 of her kids to be strict Catholics. She has zero Catholic children and one out of 17 Catholic grand kids. Her kids all resented her for trying to force her religion on them.

I will teach my son what I believe, but also what other people believe.  He will find the answer for himself.

MAUREEN55

Answer by MAUREEN55 at 11:13 PM on May. 23, 2009

• I will teach my son that it is up to him to decide what is right for him spirtually. If that means he finds that there is no God or that he finds he has a spiritual faith without a specific religion to bind him - I'm okay with that. Yes, I want my child to think for himself. We attend a fellowship that discusses all faiths and respects all points of view. I plan on having him attend church with some friends of a specific Christian denomination for a period of time. This way he can ultimately decide what path is right for him. Our life style and our actions suggest to him that we encourage an independent thinker. Certainly I cannot control what he believes or does not believe.
    frogdawg

Answer by frogdawg at 11:17 PM on May. 23, 2009

• I teach him the religion I was raised in but if he choses another one, then that is his choice. I am Catholic and that is what he is raised as.

Answer by tyfry7496 at 11:18 PM on May. 23, 2009

• There is a difference between teaching what you believe to your child and forcing your belief on them. Faith cannot be forced. You can force them to stay the right things and follow all of the right rituals (or whatever) but you can never MAKE them believe.

I am a Christian. I believe that faith in Jesus Christ is the only way to obtain salvation and enter into heaven. It isn't just a "eh, well, maybe" thing for me, I REALLY believe it. I want my children in heaven with me. I will absolutely teach them what I believe and take them to church as a family practice. I feel it is my duty as a mother to teach my children what I feel is the truth. When they are old enough and do not want to go to church anymore or want to believe something else, that is their perrogative. I'd expect anyone of any religion who truly felt their religion was the truth to feel the same way.
    NovemberLove

Answer by NovemberLove at 11:23 PM on May. 23, 2009

• I am teaching my children about God. I want my children to be Godly Christian adults, I feel this is my responsibility as a Christian mother.

ptomom678

Answer by ptomom678 at 11:30 PM on May. 23, 2009

• I teach my children to harm no one and to respect Mother Earth. As far as forcing my beliefs on them, no I will not do that. I teach them what I believe to be true, and as they get older and ask more questions I will be honest with them as I was raised catholic and attended various christian churches before finding my true spiritual path. So, I have basic knowledge to share with them if they ask and what I do not know we can learn together.

I am not close-minded, nor do I think it is right to force your beliefs on a child you should teach them and allow them to see all religions as they are and not as you may "judge and/or think them to be.

My kids enjoy time with Mother Nature and they love bugs, and birds, and all living things. I won't say they never squashed a bug, but usually one of them gets terribly upset when another child kills a bug. It's a learning process everyday for us all.
    CinderAmethyst

Answer by CinderAmethyst at 11:44 PM on May. 23, 2009