Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

How can I pay for a divorce lawyer?

Until 6 months ago I had enough for the retainer for a divorce lawyer. Unfortunately because of some medical bills I had to pay I no longer have it (I have some money saved but not enough). How can I follow through? Should I take out a personal loan? Any advice would be welcome.

Answer Question

Asked by Anonymous at 11:09 PM on May. 23, 2009 in Relationships

Answers (5)
  • You might look into legal aid or whatever kind of free lawyers they have in your area. Sometimes, it takes a while to get in, but if you meet financial requirements, they'll help you out.

    Answer by sparrowprincess at 11:12 PM on May. 23, 2009

  • Legal is what I used and all I ended up paying was the filing fees at the courthouse

    Answer by hautemama83 at 11:15 PM on May. 23, 2009

  • sorry I forgot to put *legal aid*

    Answer by hautemama83 at 11:15 PM on May. 23, 2009

  • I don't think I can get legal aid because our income is too much.

    Answer by Anonymous at 11:28 PM on May. 23, 2009

  • Looking for freebies from lawyers is HARD! However, go to your local courthouse and ask for something called 'lawyer for a day'. My aunt did this and paid very little for her divorce.

    Answer by rio_burb at 12:43 AM on May. 24, 2009

Join CafeMom now to contribute your answer and become part of our community. It's free and takes just a minute.