I am not a Christian

However, I don't understand why some Christians use their faith as a weapon of judgment. I don't understand why so many Christians chose to say "YOU WILL GO TO HELL FOR YOUR CHOICES" rather than "I am doing what I can to make sure I go to heaven". I don't know how so many Christians can take the bible as a direct word of God as opposed to what it is: man's interpretation of God's word. As it is my knowledge, it's God's duty to judge humanity, not man's. Although I understand that it's a good Christian's job to spread the word of God, it's not, in my opinion, any man (or woman's) job to act as the voice of God and condemn certain behaviors and choices as being wrong. From what I understand, the Christian God is a God of love... and God gave man free will. Why Christians simply spread God's love?

prinzesstephi

Asked by prinzesstephi at 11:22 PM on May. 23, 2009 in Religion & Beliefs

• The version of the Bible that most people refer to is the Protestant Canon. It is a collection of writings that have been evaluated for claiming the authority of God (which is why some writings are included in the canon and some are not). The Bible says "All scripture is inspired of God and is profitable for correction, instruction in teaching and living a life with God's approval." That answers two of your points. The Bible is the word of God to use by both inspiration (the original writers wrote what God wanted them to write, those are HIS words THROUGH them) as well as by enlightenment (discernment of today's Christian and the message they get for themselves when reading and praying). The second point is that the Bible does indeed give us some hints as to how to live our lives with God's approval. There are certain things (i.e. lying, stealing) that we know God does not approve of (cont.)
    NovemberLove

Answer by NovemberLove at 11:30 PM on May. 23, 2009

• (cont.) and our purpose should be to use what we know from the Bible about what does and doesn't have God's approval to help our FELLOW CHRISTIAN grow. I don't believe God ever meant for us to use his words to go ahead and bash non-Christians nor to tell them they ought to live their lives according to OUR beliefs.

Why some Christians go ahead and do that anyway, I cannot explain that to you. I think it has more to do with their nutty personality as well as their misinterpretation of the Bible than it does with what God actually wants us to do.

As Jesus says, the best way to show others what we believe is by doing good. Our good works cannot save us but they can be a message towards others. To insult another belief is to insult the believer and you'll never get anyone listening to your POV if you insult them. That is something I wish so many other believers would realise.

(cont.)
    NovemberLove

Answer by NovemberLove at 11:33 PM on May. 23, 2009

• I am a christian and I try not to judge others or condemn them for their actions after all it is your life and you should be able to live it as you see fit. I totally support the line from Johnny Cash's movie when the guy tells him that Christians listen to his music and they wouldn't want him singing to rapists, killers, and the like. Johnny replies, "Then they aren't Christians." Thats the way I feel about it too and I think if you don't live like that then they're not a real christian either
    MrsDeputy

Answer by MrsDeputy at 11:33 PM on May. 23, 2009

• to answer the rest of your question....

They do it because they can and they just do. There is no reason for it. The Bible says there is one way to salvation and that is to believe in Jesus Christ. Anyone that tries to put a price tag on it or tells you that you can't have it because of something you did or you've done is wrong.
    NovemberLove

Answer by NovemberLove at 11:34 PM on May. 23, 2009

• i never say people will go to hell because i do not know if they are or not and it is not my decision. i don't like it either but i don't give comments like that from other people a second thought. obviously they are not so Christian if they are judging when God tells us not to judge others. but here i go judging them....
    nairda

Answer by nairda at 11:38 PM on May. 23, 2009

• Specifically what I mean is when Christians judge a mother for being unwed, or a woman for having an abortion, or a homosexual couple for being in love. It may not be what they believe in, it may be against their interpretation of what Christianity is. However, it's my understanding that it's a good Christian's job to spread the love of God, and leave the judgment up to Him.

prinzesstephi

Answer by prinzesstephi at 11:41 PM on May. 23, 2009

• I have no answer for why others do what they do.

I am a Christian and while I do have my opinions, and I do make judgements about certain things (to myself), I will never tell someone that they are going to hell. I don't know that, and it's not my call to make.
    DusterMommy

Answer by DusterMommy at 11:42 PM on May. 23, 2009

• I'm a Christian and I don't even believe in hell, lol.
    Or religious exclusivity/absolutism, that there is only "one" way, or that one way is better than any other, for that matter....
    bandgeek521

Answer by bandgeek521 at 11:54 PM on May. 23, 2009

• Prenzesstephi, I can understand why you feel some Christians use their faith as a weapon of judgment. What I don't think you understand is that most people who say they are Christians (one of God's children), truly are not, and they don't even know it! God says over and over again that he has chosen, or elected, who belongs to Him. God wants everyone to come to Him, but He is not going to twist their arms if they don't want to follow the teachings of Jesus Christ. NO ONE can reach God and have everlasting life in heaven unless they follow Jesus Christ. I know that statement may sound very narrow and restrictive, but TRUTH is always absolute and very restrictive. For instance, what is 2+2? there is no other answer but 4. People can try to get around things all they want, but 2+2=4. That is absolute truth. God is absolute truth. Follow Jesus-you might actually get to heaven when you die, but only if He has chosen you first. PRAY
    bittybabymom

Answer by bittybabymom at 11:58 PM on May. 23, 2009

• No christians should NOT be condemning you for your actions for ONLY God knows your heart and can condemn you or give you eternal life. I would say study the bible. Read it beginning to end. As you do this have a notepad by your side and EVERY question that pops into your head write it down. If you find your answer inscripture later then write down that scripture. Then go seek other religions and study with them. If they are false then leave. I will say this Saturday is the ONLY day sanctified by the Lord our God. Not sunday as is popularly taught. The church even admits it changed the sabbath to Sunday not of God's will but by their own authority. I hope this helps you :)
    rhanford

Answer by rhanford at 12:53 AM on May. 24, 2009