What do I do about my pissy cat?

When I moved into my current place, we had my cat and one roomate had a cat. They got along fine. That roomate moved out, and for a while he was an only cat. New roomate moves in w/ another cat, AND other (continuous) roomate gets a cat as well. Now my kitty is grumpy, growls, won't let me pet him, and barely comes inside. :( Oh, and last time I made him stay the night in the house he peed on my bed IN FRONT OF ME. Before this, we were all planning on getting a house together (we're in an apartment). Now I am having second thoughts. The others are sure he will be better w/ more space, but maybe I should just get an apartment? I wanted my roomies around (they are also my best friends) when my baby is born (emotional and financial support), but I didn't rescue my cat from the shelter so he would hate his home. :(

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 11:30 PM on May. 23, 2009 in Pets

• Cats just get attitudes sometimes. My SO brings the dog over on the weekends. My cat used to get way pissed about it, but it slowly improved over time. She's over it now. I think she figured out that she's more loved by me than the dog! LOL! Just give him some extra attention. And, I'm sure he would do better with more space. Having friends around to support you with a new baby could be great!
    sparrowprincess

Answer by sparrowprincess at 11:35 PM on May. 23, 2009

• The cat is probably mad because his best friend is no longer there.
    Anonymous

• any place you moce him to he will be pissy. cats hate change. I would isolate him in a area he feels comfortable in that the other cats have no acess to. that way he knows he has his own domain. good luck.
    Bearsjen

Answer by Bearsjen at 11:48 PM on May. 23, 2009

• First off I want to commend you on not just giving up on your cat. I read about so many people who move to a new apt. that doesn't accept animals and they give them away. If you do move where there is more space he might be able to find a quiet spot for him to "hide" from the other cat. Also how is he feeling? I have a cat that is always pretty friendly but she started getting grumpy. I shrugged it off thinking she was "upset" with her sister (they go from liking each other to fighting and back again). After a couple of days she growled when I would come near and hissed or tried to bite me if I picked her up. I was concerned so I called the vet. Turns out she had an infection and a fever. Check out his eating habits. Good luck!
    sadira29

Answer by sadira29 at 12:07 AM on May. 24, 2009

• Thanks for the answers...
    Sparrowprincess: It's been about two months since the newest cat came... more time maybe?
    Anon: He actually got MORE affectionate after that cat left! I think he likes being an only kitty.
    Bearsjen: I will try giving him a little space of his own.
    Sadira29: I will take him to the vet, too.

Thanks everyone.
    guitarlove

Answer by guitarlove at 12:19 AM on May. 24, 2009

• Cats are so funny like that. I had a female orange and white persian cat. I got her with her sibling many years ago. The male cat got run over and it devastated me. We went and got another cat from the shelter and he was not nice to the female cat. She began to stay away. Well that male cat died in a freakish garage door accident and we moved. I took my female cat with me and we got another male. She didnt seem to mind this one too much. That male ran away. Then we moved again and got another male cat. She didnt mind him either. Then we ended up with one more male and she began not coming home and hissing at him and just acting all weird. She did not want him near her. I noticed that the cats that were quiet and submissive to her, she was fine with, but the ones with aggressive or dominant personalities, she had problems with. I guess she wanted to be in charge. She finally ran away or took up residence with someone else.
    momofsaee

Answer by momofsaee at 9:02 AM on May. 24, 2009