I am on maternity leave but got laid off my company is going to give me severance pay can they take out what I

owe for my insurance?

nessy1980

Asked by nessy1980 at 11:33 PM on May. 23, 2009 in Money & Work

• Probably; I would refer to your employee handbook or contact the HR department.
    I am concerned that you were fired during a maternity leave; it is illegal to fire an employee because of pregnancy; if you believe this to be the case, contact the EEOC.
    If you plan to find a new position, drop me a note: I do career and job search coaching and will be happy to help you with resumes, coverletters, job search strategy and interview prep.

Answer by rkoloms at 5:41 AM on May. 24, 2009

• No, only if you quit and were not back for 30 days
    Anonymous

• Actually yes they can, if they are giving you severance and your insurance continues through the date of your severance (i.e. they give you 2 weeks severance pay, etc....) then yes they can. Part of it also depends on if your company pays the insurance company up front or in arrears. Chances are more than good that they can and will take out the cost for the insurance.
    Anonymous

• It really depends on how they do it. When my husband lost a job a few years ago, he received his severance as a biweekly paycheck instead of taking a lump sum. By doing that he was able to carry the insurance for a few months, and they did take his share out of it.

Had he taken a lump sum, he'd have paid a higher amount in taxes and would have lost the insurance at the end of the month.

Answer by gdiamante at 2:23 AM on May. 24, 2009