How do you really feel about interracial dating?

My 13 year old DD has her first BF. We are really white and he is really black. He is very polite & treats her very nicely & they just had their first kiss tonight (her first ever) I am open minded and have never been racist but I feel nervous that she will only want to date black guys from now on (silly, I know) Her school has recently become about 80% black so not a whole lot of guys to choose from. Is it really stupid to be worried, I just want my future grandchildren to resemble me somewhat!

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 11:50 PM on May. 23, 2009 in Teens (13-17)

• We are really white and he is really black

Wow that sounds sooooo wrong
    Anonymous

• i cant believe you are really talking like that...
    thats horrible.

and selfish.
    Anonymous

• I personally have no problem with interracial dating, as long as the 2 people have come from similiar upbringings, childhoods, and have the same beliefs and morals. I think problems are caused when 2 people enter into a relationship having 2 completly different outlooks on life and have been through totally different experiences, which unfortunately happens a lot with different races and cultures. Sometimes these couples can't seem to find a middle ground which puts stress on the relationship, and all the people involved. However if this boy is nice, respectful, as he and his family believe in the same values and morals as your daughter and your family, than I see nothing wrong with it.
    Anonymous

• I am sure you did not intend to sound racist in your question, but in so many spots you do. i think that she should be trusted to choose a man based on their character, not skin color.If you are truly not racist you will allow her to date whomever she would like and trsust her judgement-while stopping yours.
    Anonymous

• all that matters is that he treat her right who gives a crap about the color of his skin his character is what should matter

abellvalerie

Answer by abellvalerie at 11:57 PM on May. 23, 2009

• I'm horrible & wrong??? LOL I am letting her date him, I think if I was truly racist that wouldn't be happening! And only one of you so far has not been anonymous, I am anonymous so I will not be attacked, why are you?
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 12:07 AM on May. 24, 2009

• I actually don't think you sound racist, just honest. (OK the part about you being really white and him being really black sounded a little racists)  It's her first boyfriend. if he was white you'd be posting about how old he was or how tall he was. No matter what you'd be nervous. The fact that he's black is just something that sticks out in your mind. I think you're just not quite ready for her to be dating and your anxiety showing. In a few years you'll look back at this and laugh at yourself.

MAUREEN55

Answer by MAUREEN55 at 12:08 AM on May. 24, 2009

• Want my honest opinion?

I LOVE interracial relationships. I'm in one. My fiance treats me better than any guy of my race ever did. Now, having said that, I would also like to add that it's not his race that makes him treat me better. It's his CHARACTER.

You should always judge people by their character, not by the color of their skin.
    caitxrawks

Answer by caitxrawks at 12:10 AM on May. 24, 2009

• I thought it was funny. Why is it racist to say "really white and really black?" I didn't think it was a racist question at all. I would be thinking the same thing if i was in your shoes. Unfortunately I don't have any advice. It sounds like you've got a good head on your shoulders though. I would just trust your instincts. Hope all goes well.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 12:10 AM on May. 24, 2009

• I'm spanish and my husband is white! According to my husband, I don't look spanish. Same with my son - he's more white than spanish.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 12:12 AM on May. 24, 2009