Nonconsentual sex?

ok so i read in the paper today that there was a man charged with nonconsentual sex...not rape. is this not the same thing?? imo if it's nonconsentual it's rape

r_elizabeth2290

Asked by r_elizabeth2290 at 12:08 AM on May. 24, 2009 in General Parenting

• Same to me.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 12:09 AM on May. 24, 2009

• Well I would think of it the same, but maybe there is more to it than just that, what IDK, or maybe that is just a better way of saying rape KWIM
    hautemama83

Answer by hautemama83 at 12:12 AM on May. 24, 2009

• Sounds like the same thing to me. Probably just another way to make something seem like it isn't what it really is...kind of like how you can be charged with voluntary manslaughter which in fact is actually murder.
    Ash9724

Answer by Ash9724 at 12:14 AM on May. 24, 2009

• ah. a euphamism or whatever it's called. yea that makes sense. it's stupid to me though. rape is rape
    r_elizabeth2290

Answer by r_elizabeth2290 at 12:20 AM on May. 24, 2009

• It may be that the minor having sex was not able to give informed consent to actually have sex so the person was charged. Like a 15 year old girl with a 17 year old boy. One can legally give consent in some states and one cannot. I don't like the charge and do think that it should go under sex crimes. It may be a way to statistically not be counted into the system as a sexual crime, lowering the state's standing nationally. In my state we did this for criminal domestic violence. We changed the definition to try and lower the "numbers" reported nationally since we were always top five. Still didn't work. But they tried.
    frogdawg

Answer by frogdawg at 8:21 AM on May. 24, 2009

• It's just the court's way (or the cops) of trying to make it sound better. My ex was convicted of rape(after I left him), but they call it "lewd and lachivious molestation". I asked the lawyer to give me the definitions for rape and the L & L molestation: the definitions were, word for word, the same.
    tropicalmama

Answer by tropicalmama at 8:21 AM on May. 24, 2009

• Maybe it has to do with being a registered sex offender. But both are sex crimes, duh, both ARE rape. Maybe it has to do with other things, ages, stuff like that. It's a legal thing, and you won't get an honest answer more then likely.
    Buffie95

Answer by Buffie95 at 11:35 AM on May. 24, 2009