Is using this considered child abuse?

When my son was littler he wouldn't sleep good so I got one of those kiddopotamus(sp?) wrap things with the velcro to hold it shut. My BF's mom was freaking out because she didn't like it, and I was like yea whatever you screwed up your kids so blah blah blah. Then his aunt(who works with a pediatrician) told me that some peds. say that it's child abuse to use it, because it holds their arms and makes the bones and stuff form weird. I don't really know, I used it untill he was 5 months old. That's when they told me, and of course I don't want to abuse my baby, I thought I was just helping him sleep better so I stopped using it.
So I just want to know if that is actually true, of if maybe they just told me that because they didn't like it and wanted me to not use it.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 12:25 AM on May. 24, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• Swaddling a baby isn't abuse. Plus my son worked his way out of those when he was just a couple of months old.

Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 12:26 AM on May. 24, 2009

• Um no that is not considered child abuse. Unless you left it on him all day and all night long for 5 months than maybe but to wrap your child up for a few hours when they go to sleep is not going to make his arms deformed. Sounds like a bunch of BS to me. I hate how people consider the stupidest things to be child abuse. Child abuse is a serious thing and people need to stop using the term so lightly. I'd tell your bf's mom you'd like to wrap her mouth closed with that thing.
    Ash9724

Answer by Ash9724 at 12:28 AM on May. 24, 2009

• OP here:

Well they said it is because it holds the baby's arms down and they "can't move"
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 12:28 AM on May. 24, 2009

• i dont think its abuse, it would be diff. if the parent used it all the time, and neglected their child, but the reason swaddling helps a baby relax is because they twitch and stuff involuntarily and it scares them..
    HaviksMum

Answer by HaviksMum at 12:29 AM on May. 24, 2009

• no its not my son came home weighing 3lbs and 10 oz and had to sleep in one of those until he was 6lbs. his doc is the one who told me to use it so he wouldnt get hurt and they used it on him when he was in the nicu... you are the babies mom... u know what is best for them.... u do what u think is right
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 12:30 AM on May. 24, 2009

• OP again:

I also used it because we were staying in his parents basement for a while, it was winter, and his stingy ass step dad wouldn't turn the heat on
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 12:35 AM on May. 24, 2009

• No, swaddling is not abuse. If you wrapped him up tight enough to warp the bones you would have probably also suffocated him. Those things are pretty breathable. Swaddling makes them more comfortable, like when they were in the room. But past 6 mos they tend to like to stretch out a little more.
    cjbj08

Answer by cjbj08 at 12:38 AM on May. 24, 2009

• they are funny! anything to make you keep coming back! swaddling is apart of the 5 S's they rave about. i loved my kiddopotamus!!!
    ssnelson26

Answer by ssnelson26 at 1:08 AM on May. 24, 2009

• It is called swaddleing and highly recommended. Alot of children that age can control what there arms and such are doing and keep themselfs awake. As long as you only use it when was bedtime then it is okay just not all the time.
    IMAMOM2-2KIDS

Answer by IMAMOM2-2KIDS at 4:26 AM on May. 24, 2009

• Not child abuse. If you go to parenting classes or child development classes(I took in high school), they tell you that swaddeling actually really helps and it comforts them. If used to help them sleep only, it's fine. And if you're really concerned about it, ask YOUR baby's ped. Or go to one of those parenting classes. I wouldn't even be surprised if you called a hospital and they told you if it was ok or not. I know it's not abuse but, if you want a professional opinion, call around.
    MarineWife1108

Answer by MarineWife1108 at 5:21 AM on May. 24, 2009