What is the best way to wean your 13 month old off the bottle?????

My oldest daughter took a pacifier, so it was easy for her to come off one all I had to do is pop the paci in her mouth. But, now my youngest will NOT for any reason take a paci. She sleeps with a half cow half blanket thing it's really cute but she loves it. IT seems like that is her paci. Every now and then she will want a bottle to fall asleep.......HELP

SaSsYmOm358

Asked by SaSsYmOm358 at 12:28 AM on May. 24, 2009 in Toddlers (1-2)

• It was hard to get my son & daughter off... I just had to throw them away. Start giving them sippy cups. I told my son that there were other kids that needed his bottle more than he did lol. My daughter was pretty much yeah whatever just give me something. But with them still in the house, I was always tempted to give in, so I just threw them in the garbage.
    sailfishmommy

Answer by sailfishmommy at 12:36 AM on May. 24, 2009

• Limit her bottle time.. Give it to her when she is the fussiest.. like in the morning or nap time.. To only like 3 times a day for the first two days... then throw them away... She will be fussy for the first two days.. but dont give in because it makes it harder.. my daughter was off the bottle at 11 months.. (she drank her milk from a sippy cup).. She is now 18 months and drinks out of a cup.. she only gets her sippy cup every now and then (maybe once every 3 days)
    lovingmommaof3

Answer by lovingmommaof3 at 1:03 AM on May. 24, 2009

• Slowly start replacing bottles with sippy cups
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 1:51 AM on May. 24, 2009

• throw them away, tell her she is a big girl and big girls do not drink out of bottles so we had to give them to the garbage man so he can give them to his baby, she may cry but it worked for my daughter she was off a bottle at 10 months and drank out of a sippy!
    good luck!
    MammaSherry

Answer by MammaSherry at 1:58 AM on May. 24, 2009

• All of these answers are really good. My daughter was off the bottle at 10 months and it was pretty easy to slowly transition from bottle to sippy cup....the hard part was finding a sippy cup she liked. Buy a few different kinds and try them out, but don't give up on one just because she refuses it once, try it again the next day. You could try the soft spout sippys, I know Nuby makes one and you can find them at walmart for just a couple dollars. They are the most llike a bottle and would probably be easier to start with. Good Luck!
    Love2BMommy77

Answer by Love2BMommy77 at 2:18 AM on May. 24, 2009

• with my daughter she was 2 years old and i told her that she was a big girl and didnt need to drink from a bottle anymore and gave her a tippy cup and she never wanted a bottle again but she would ask for a bottle if she seen a baby getting a bottle it took her a day before she decided that she didnt want a bottle anymore and now we are trying to get her to go to sleep with out the tippy but that is hard for her because i think that is her safety thing because she waskes up in the middle of the night and drinks out of it so yea like all the other mommy up above me said try the sippy cup hope everything goes good
    cierras_mommy

Answer by cierras_mommy at 2:41 AM on May. 24, 2009

• I had my daughter off the bottle by 7 months old, and what I did was during the day I would only give her a soft spout sippy cup with gasket, and at night a bottle, then I eventually just went to sippy cups all the time. They might fuss for a few days but they will get over it and not care. She is 11 months almost and is on a hard spout sippy cup with gasket now. I went soft spout with gasket, to soft spout without gasket, to hard spout with gasket, and soon I am going to remove the gasket from that and start giving her paper cups every now and then. Good luck it isnt as hard as it seem you just need patience.
    truealaskanmom

Answer by truealaskanmom at 6:02 AM on May. 24, 2009

• they earlier you start with the sippy cup the easier it is to transition them, I started with her at 6 months and it only took a month to get her off the bottle completely.
    truealaskanmom

Answer by truealaskanmom at 6:04 AM on May. 24, 2009

• Just stop giving her the bottle. You are the parent. If you don't want her to have it, just don't give it to her.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 7:27 AM on May. 24, 2009

• I started giving my daughter the bottle only at nap and bedtime. then once she got use to not having it during the day. I stopped giving it to her at nap time. then I cut the last bottle out. I think it took me 2 weeks to get her totally off of it. She didn't miss it one bit. then I just threw them away, but I gave her sippy cups like the cheap nuby ones that have soft top, then I bought her some munchkin ones that are the same way then I gave her playtex ones and she's doing great good luck
    Angelgurl20

Answer by Angelgurl20 at 5:42 PM on May. 25, 2009