Is there low cost adoptions?

My husband and I are a combined family with 4 children. We have talked endlessly about adoption. We feel our family isnt complete. We are very interested in adoption but cannot afford the huge fees. Foster care is a long, long battle. Can anyone help us? We would love to meet someone who is looking to put their child for adoption....

crazymomma4200

Asked by crazymomma4200 at 12:33 AM on May. 24, 2009 in Adoption

• Foster care itself isn't designed for the foster parents to end up with the children - reunification is the goal.

However, there IS foster to adopt thru your state and it is little to no cost. There are ALSO waiting children in the foster care system who are legally free, they're not newborns but if you really want a child, these children need families, too. Some are sibling groups, some may have special needs, some just need a home.

In most of these adoptions, there is little to no cost involved. I think it just depends on your "criteria".

I'm big on saying never close your mind or heart to an older child. Most people have the ideal of the baby or small child - but older kids are just as awesome - and they're potty trained! LOL YES, they need different care than a baby but it's totally worth it and SO needed! Hundreds of thousands of legally free - waiting children are out there right now - just waiting for you!!
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 1:26 AM on May. 24, 2009

• Not sure how it became Anon - I don't use that - if I'm gonna say it, I don't hide - lol - anyhow for what it's worth the above response was from me.
    AAAMama

Answer by AAAMama at 10:47 AM on May. 24, 2009

• I am in NC & we did our entire adoption for around $2000. We did a private adoption & worked directly with the birth mom. I think your price is more dependent on how many people (ie. lawyers, case workers, adoption agencies, etc.) get involved.
    eeyoreplus4

Answer by eeyoreplus4 at 1:13 PM on May. 24, 2009

• Do some research on agencies and facilitators in your area. In Nebraska, there is Nebraska Children's Home Society, and they have no fees at all. It's not part of the foster system, and they'll tell people who call that they are there to find homes for children, not children for homes. Maybe there is something like that in your area. Just a thought.
    Iamgr8teful

Answer by Iamgr8teful at 2:10 PM on May. 24, 2009

• We adopted through foster care - - took us 15 months for the adoption to be final and the total cost for us was $16.50. With that said, we did foster first, but as the first poster said, there are many children waiting right now that need homes.
    mommytoadam

Answer by mommytoadam at 4:37 PM on May. 24, 2009

• our family went thru our county FOSTER TO ADOPT program , TWICE. both times we didnt wait long and didnt pay out more than $100. and i agree with first poster also.. :)
    lovinallofthem

Answer by lovinallofthem at 12:47 AM on May. 26, 2009

• Adoptuskids.org has many kids listed that are available for adoption through social services. Most states also have an adoption website. These kids are considered hard to place mainly because they are not infants. Don't be turned off by the "moderately emotional" category. I think most of us could be considered "moderately emotional" without having been through the things that these kids have been through.
    motherofhope98

Answer by motherofhope98 at 8:36 AM on May. 28, 2009

• AAAMama (first poster) said it perfectly! Foster Adoption does bring challenges - significant ones in some cases. But it has been one of the most rewarding experiences of my life ad I am so glad that it brought us together with our daughter. Entire process from applying to finalizing was fourteen months and the cost was $100. My daughter was four when she joined our family.

I would go to an orientation and try to talk to experienced parents who've adopted from foster care. There are some Foster/Adopt groups here on CafeMom and on many other sites. If you are seriously interested, start reading up on attachment issues and other emotional and behavioral issues. I have a list of recommended books on my site if you are interested.
    Good luck in finding what is right for your family,

Christine
    ForeverMom05

Answer by ForeverMom05 at 5:03 PM on May. 30, 2009