Calling all CNA's (Certified Nurse Assistants)

I have really been considering going to school to become a CNA. I have done quite a bit of research as to what the job entails. However, tonight, I spoke with a woman who is a CNA and she told me all about her experience & training. I was somewhat scared off when she told me that during her training and even during employment, she had to work with dead bodies...cleaning them up after the patient died & preparing them for the funeral home. I am now second guessing this profession b/c of this. I really don't feel comfortable enough to experience this. So my question is, does EVERY CNA go through having to deal with dead bodies? Also, is it pretty much a given that I would be working with the elderly at some point? Is it possible to get my training & not have to work in the elderly and death areas? I am wanting to work with post partum/maternity patients. Is there a way to focus only on that??? Thanks in advance!

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 1:00 AM on May. 24, 2009 in Money & Work

• Hey I work in a hospital and you really cant get away from the whole death experience. When you work on the Labor/Delivery area, even then you have to deal with babies that pass away after birth, and adoptions. As for working with elderly they probably make up about 80% of the medical oncology patient floors of a hospital :) I have to go in and clean the rooms after the body is removed and it is hard, but it helps you realize what life is all about. Good luck with your CNA goals....
    Wow2boyz

Answer by Wow2boyz at 3:57 AM on May. 24, 2009

• unfortunately yes you have to clean dead bodies and you cant get away from it either. ive cleaned them but as odd as this sounds you get used to it. you become cold to it all because when my first patient died i was crying hysterically and then after a while again i got used to it. you also have to clean bed pans, clean out colonstomy bags, change there diapers. You have to do all the lifting as well of the patients. Good luck. I was a CNA but after i had my daughter i felt to me it wasnt worth it
    nessy1980

Answer by nessy1980 at 5:49 AM on May. 24, 2009

• My old roommate was (and probably still is) a CNA and she never had to deal with the dead bodies. See if you can contact your local hospital and ask them.
    Silvertears1275

Answer by Silvertears1275 at 5:00 PM on May. 24, 2009

• I never heard of having to deal with dead bodies, but then I never thought to ask. Actually, I would not let that scare you off. CNA is probably the best thing to get into now adays because there is such a high demand for them. Hopefully you did some extensive research because I know where I live there are about a dozen places, including hospitals and nursing homes, that will actually pay for your training.
    markayda3

Answer by markayda3 at 9:52 PM on May. 24, 2009