Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

My 3 and a half year old son................

has troble pronouncing some words.........Like for example when he says the word FUNNY it sounds like SUNNY and FOOT is SOOT.......I was just wondering if you think he will learn to say this words correctly or maybe he needs a little speech therapy....OR then again maybe I am being worried for no reason. :)

Answer Question

Asked by Anonymous at 1:57 AM on May. 24, 2009 in Preschoolers (3-4)

Answers (5)
  • I wouldn't worry too much about it. My middle son had some speech trouble, just a little lisp, and he had outgrown it by the age of probably 6 or 7. Many kids still have some letters or words they can't pronounce correctly at that age. They are still learning. If you are concerned though you can take him to a speech therapist and they should be able to tell you if he is on track or if he needs some assistance.

    Answer by AprilDJC at 3:14 AM on May. 24, 2009

  • Some times it is normal at this age but you should get him checked! You want to get it fixed early if it really is a major problem.

    Answer by IMAMOM2-2KIDS at 4:07 AM on May. 24, 2009

  • You can also do things with him at home to teach him those sounds. Teach him how to make the F sound. It is not uncommon for kids to miss pronounce F, Y (lellow for yellow), th, and v sounds. Show him what you do with your mouth to make the sounds. I see it every year with my Kindergarten class. Sometimes they need speech therapy and sometimes it is enough to just show them.

    Kim -handmade jewelry and watches

    Answer by RedSeal at 6:35 AM on May. 24, 2009

  • I would have him evaluated. It won't hurt. And if he does qualify for speech therapy, why make him suffer through until he "catches up" if there is help available?

    Even if he doesn't qualify for services, they will give you some ideas to help him with his particular problems!!

    My two who are in speech also have a problem with "F". However, they replace it with "B" which is common, per our therapist. She's not mentioned an "S" substitution, but I could ask her on Tuesday.....

    I will say that in our school district they need to have ONE severe delay or TWO moderates to receive services. Going through the school district doesn't cost anything, either!

    Answer by TiccledBlue at 7:32 AM on May. 24, 2009

  • My kids do this with lots of words so if they say "i hit the ball wif the bat" I answer, "you hit the ball WITH your bat?" and we talk about with having a th and an f as in frong being a different sund and our mouths being different when we do these.

    The Easter seals gives free evals but there is an age limit I believe.

    Answer by TXdanielly at 9:04 PM on May. 24, 2009

Join CafeMom now to contribute your answer and become part of our community. It's free and takes just a minute.