Any advice on poop....lol

My seven week old baby girl has been having a hard time pooping lately its coming out a little harder than usual and she is grunting and crying :( any advice??

Can I help her or do i just have to let her go at it herself? :(

MoMosMommy439

Asked by MoMosMommy439 at 2:26 AM on May. 24, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• there are a lot of things you can do. im in nursing school so we learn a lot about this.. my daughter also had the same problem and i freaked out.. she once went 2 weeks without going poo and the doctors said it was normal.. you can give her a warm bath and massage her belly.. if that doesnt work then push her knees back and forth to her belly and it will get her bowels in motion.. if it still doesnt work and your baby hasnt gone poo then you can give her a tablespoon of Karo syrup in her bottle.. it was DEFINETLY make her go poo.. i give it to my daughter once in a while when shes having a hard time going and its amazing plus its natural.. its just natural sugar and that attatches to the stool and makes it softer. good luck!
    casper4991

Answer by casper4991 at 9:58 PM on May. 24, 2009

• Are you formula feeding or BFing.....if formula, you may need a switch, if breast, then don't worry about it. If youre giving any kind of solids like rice or oatmeal, stop those right away....if her tummy gets hard and she gets uncomfortable then she should go to the pedi....Babies that age will grunt and it seems like they are straining really hard, but it's just b/c they dont' have full control over their internal sphincter yet....that freaked me out when my dd was just born. I thought she was constipated but once they get control over that it gets better....they kinda learn how to poop =)
    calliesmommie

Answer by calliesmommie at 2:31 AM on May. 24, 2009

• You can try doing the bicycle with her legs to get things moving or gently rub her tummy starting from the bottom right and making an arch over to the other side....that's the way the intestines run....maybe a warm bath to comfort her.
    calliesmommie

Answer by calliesmommie at 2:32 AM on May. 24, 2009

• I agree with the first answer. If it concerns you alot, and you feel she's terribly uncomfortable then call your pedi....even the on call sevice to speak to a nurse. I always called the Dr everytime I had any questions, they usually can walk you through things and put your mind at ease over the phone. Good Luck!
    Love2BMommy77

Answer by Love2BMommy77 at 2:36 AM on May. 24, 2009