Bf

My son is 10weeks old and is not very long. I feel that if he had formula he would grow more. I don't have much fat in my diet. Should I give him formula too? Also how can I increase milk supply? I don't pump but bout 3 oz at a time and he eats more than that or should. Please help I want him to grow to his fullest potential

JrsMa317

Asked by JrsMa317 at 2:56 AM on May. 24, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• Don't worry about how much you pump. I thought because I couldn't pump very much either. If you let him eat straight from the breast, he can get a lot more than a pump can. Length/height has nothing to do with his "growth", what kind you are worried about. If he is gaining weight properly, everything should be fine. I would still consult with a LC or his Pedi, just to make sure. But BREAST IS ALWAYS BEST!! =) GL!!
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 2:59 AM on May. 24, 2009

• Don't stress, it is NORMAL to only pump a couple oz. A pump is not as good the real thing, trust me, he is getting more than that. As far as your supply goes just feed on demand...every time he wants it, give it to him. Your supply will adjust to what he's eating. The more he eats, the more you'll make. Make sure you feed at night too. If you go long periodes of time, like over night without feeding it can affect your supply. As long as he is not loosing weight then he is getting enough from you and you wouldn't need to supplement with formula. But, if he looses weight, thats different.
    Love2BMommy77

Answer by Love2BMommy77 at 3:04 AM on May. 24, 2009

• Just BF him on demand he will be just fine. You should check your diet or atleast still be taking your prenatal vitamins!
    IMAMOM2-2KIDS

Answer by IMAMOM2-2KIDS at 3:35 AM on May. 24, 2009

• All normal! You don't have a supply issue now, but if you want one then supplement with formula because that will really hurt your supply in the long run. Breastmilk is best for a baby to grow to their full potential mentally and physically. It really doesn't matter what is in your diet either. A woman from a 3rd world country and from a upper class family's milk doesn't differ in composition. The only person that will suffer from a poor diet is you. Your body will take what it needs to make milk and if the food isn't there, then it will be taken from you.
    NinjaMomma

Answer by NinjaMomma at 3:50 AM on May. 24, 2009

• It sounds like you are doing great. Keep up the good work.
    Krysta622

Answer by Krysta622 at 7:24 AM on May. 24, 2009

• Like the other women said these are all normal feelings. The best way to increase your supply is to continue to nurse as much as possible. Remember you body only started making milk a few weeks ago! It takes a while to get used to it. Try nursing for 15 minutes every hour rather than for 45 minutes every three hours.

What you eat doesn't necessarily define the nutritional content of your breast milk. Obviously if you eat things that are harmful to your baby then the toxins can get into your milk (like certain medications or too much caffeine) . Just make sure you are eating plenty of fresh fruits and veggies, and drinking lots of water and you should be fine! Don't worry about the fat content, trust your body :)

You're doing great!
    beckcorc

Answer by beckcorc at 7:35 AM on May. 24, 2009

• You're doing fine.

Giving formula isn't going to make him grow any longer. Nor is continuing breastfeeding going to make him any smarter. (neither way of feeding has anything to do with him reaching his "full potential mentally" as erroneously stated before)

What you can pump is never as much as they can get. A baby's suck is much more efficient than any pump. He "should" eat as much as he wants, so nurse him as often and for as long as he wants! HE is the best judge of what he should be getting!!

Keep up the good work and try to stop worrying about that which you have no control (his length). Enjoy your time with your son.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 7:50 AM on May. 24, 2009

• Oh, and the milk of a woman from a 3rd world country and from an upper class family will differ in composition due to their individual diets.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 7:51 AM on May. 24, 2009

• Wow.... you need to join the breastfeeding moms groups. sounds like you believe a lot of nonsense passed down buy breastfeeding ignorant generations.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 9:52 AM on May. 24, 2009

• i dont watch my diet at all and my baby has had NO formula at all,she is in her 98 percentile, for her wieght there is more fat in ur milk then formula,just make sure u take ur pre natual vitamin
    angelairelan

Answer by angelairelan at 10:51 AM on May. 24, 2009