I'm getting an extra car seat for short trips with grandma. My daughter is 2 and weighs almost 30 lbs. Any ideas for a convertible carseat that is inexpensive?

I have two graco comfort sports already, but was looking at maybe a cosco?

MommaNoonoo

Asked by MommaNoonoo at 9:00 AM on May. 24, 2009 in Toddlers (1-2)

• I have had several coscos and they were just fine. Is she too big for that seat they have at walmart right now for $40? It looks like it would be a good secondary seat. I think it may be a cosco, but Im not sure. I would buy that one if I needed an extra. We have an Eddie Bauer Alpha Omega Elite and its great, but I wouldnt buy two of them. Its very large, takes up a lot of space and its expensive. One is plenty. They all meet the same safety requirements, but some just have more features than others. That one at walmart looks like a simple sturdy seat. Good luck.
    momofsaee

Answer by momofsaee at 9:20 AM on May. 24, 2009

• I just went yesterday and bought the Cosco Scenera to put in my MIL's car. Im not the hugest fan of those seats, but they will do for extras. I only paid $50.... anyone know of a cheap seat that harnesses to 65lbs? My DD is in the Nautilius and I want an extra to put in MIL's car without paying $170.
    Auntiemom410

Answer by Auntiemom410 at 9:35 AM on May. 24, 2009

• I would get the Cosco Scenera, sometimes you can get them on sale at Walmart for about $40, but regularly they are about $50. Be aware that the Graco Comfortsports that you have are often outgrown early because they are very short, and don't have very tall harness straps. If your daughter's shoulders are above the top harness slots, then she'll need new seats.

As for an inexpensive seat that harnesses to 65lbs. the one that costs the least it the Apex 65, but it MUST have a high seat back and/or adjustable headrests behind it for support. So if your MIL car doesn't have those, then you wouldn't be able to use it in her vehicle.

sarahmae3

Answer by sarahmae3 at 9:40 AM on May. 24, 2009

• I would get a cosco scenera... it will fit her until she is 40 lbs and only costs about $40-50 depending on where you buy it
    AmiJanell

Answer by AmiJanell at 11:52 AM on May. 24, 2009

• If you are forward facing, you can get the cosco high back booster. it's ff and booster. Or if you are rear facing, you can get the cosco scenera (sp?). It's rear facing to 35 lbs then forward facing. Both are around $50. I have the scenera in my mom's car. I have the 3 in 1s cosco alpha care seats as primary seats. The company that makes them (Dorel juvenile group) is great! I've gotten replacement parts ofr cheap or no cost.
    Anonymous

• We got the cheap Cosco from Target, I think it was $37 on sale but maybe $45 regular. It's not the most comfy thing in the world, light padding, but it's fine for the occasional short trip. Usually DS is only in his granda's car for short trips of about 20 minutes or less anyway. If he were going on a long trip like a weekend away I'd take the Nautilus out of our car and put it in their car.
    RhondaVeggie

Answer by RhondaVeggie at 1:51 PM on May. 24, 2009

• Apex 65...its only a FFing seat BUT it FFs int he harness to 65lbs and then becomes a booster...a pretty good booster at that...why buy a cosco scenera that she will outgrow at 40lbs or the FFing only seat that becomes the booster starting at 40lbs...when you can get a seat that harnesses to 65lbs for $85 at biglots...the store Big Lots carries these seats for cheap or heres a link
    http://www.albeebaby.com/sa1stap65boc.html
    tabi_cat1023

Answer by tabi_cat1023 at 10:11 PM on May. 24, 2009