Going to the beach with a baby.... ?

My whole family is heading to the beach for Memorial Day tomorrow, and I've read that it's ok for a baby to be in the water, so long as it's not cold and she's in a float and not drinking the water.

My question is...what should I bring in order to prepare? We're bringing a picnic umbrella so she won't be in the shade. I'm going to bring some bottled water so I can make formula. Should I bring her bassinet for her to nap in? Any other ideas for what I'll need? Oh, and she is 5 months old.

srhmldndo

Asked by srhmldndo at 10:13 AM on May. 24, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• Well, the day at the beach got ruined. Boo! I got to the beach, put sunblock on my daughter, took her into the water, and she screamed and cried until we left. :-( I was in the water for a total of 5 seconds. Gr.
    srhmldndo

Answer by srhmldndo at 8:24 PM on May. 25, 2009

• baby sunscreen every 2 hours!! i would make sure she drinks lots of fluids being in the sun all day, at five months mine only drank formula, so i would just bring plenty of water to make it with!! if you take her bassinet, i would make sure there's some way to shade it too. another thing is you might bring some of the washcloths that are ready to use (i assume there is some kind of shower at the beach) and wash her off before you leave and lotion her up so her skin doesn't dry out from the sea salt water. have FUN!
    tatmum

Answer by tatmum at 10:18 AM on May. 24, 2009

• Thanks tatmum! I'm not worried about the salt though, I was talking about a lake-beach not the ocean. Lol, I wish though!
    srhmldndo

Answer by srhmldndo at 10:36 AM on May. 24, 2009

• Oops typo in my Q, I meant so she won't be in the SUN! Duh...
    srhmldndo

Answer by srhmldndo at 10:37 AM on May. 24, 2009

• sun screen 2 extra outfits for her,its ok to let her drink some bottle water as well,a few blankets,she can nap on a blanket under shade im sure,id put a hat on her head when she is in the water so she doesnt burn.
    angelairelan

Answer by angelairelan at 10:46 AM on May. 24, 2009

• I would have my stroller and/or playpen with a cover. Umbrella alone may not provide enough protection b/c sun will get in the sides. When my do's were little and we went to the beach I used the stroller with blankets hung around and/or the playpen witht the same + the umbrella to keep the sun off of them. PLENTY OF WATER an that's all. The biggest issue is the sun.
    MamiJaAyla

Answer by MamiJaAyla at 11:31 AM on May. 24, 2009

• They're not supposed to have sunscreen until 6 months of age. Check with your doctor before you slather stuff on her.

She can still burn in the shade. She needs to have long pants, long sleeves, a hat and be indoors as much as possible until/unless you get a medical "okay" to put sunscreen on her. And then follow the DIRECTIONS ON THE BOTTLE for application.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:39 AM on May. 24, 2009

• Lotion is fine for babies. The only reason they say not to use it on babies is to prevent mother from slathering their kids up and leaving them in the sun. You should use it if they're going to be exposed at all and just keep her as sheltered as possible.

Bring some baby powder to get the sand off her. Put some on your hand and gently rub the sand off. Makes it feel a lot less scratchy and it comes off more completely.
    RhondaVeggie

Answer by RhondaVeggie at 1:59 PM on May. 24, 2009

• sun screen, small playpen, baby powder to get the sand off, and a cooler with lots of ice and rags, you can use cool rags to keep her comfortable.
    trepsica

Answer by trepsica at 4:39 PM on May. 24, 2009