When do you take away the pacifier? and HOW???

tatmum

Asked by tatmum at 10:15 AM on May. 24, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• As soon as they start walking. Just make them disappear.

Answer by rkoloms at 10:23 AM on May. 24, 2009

• I took it away when my son turned 1 years old! It will not be easy but you cant give in! Just stay strong and they will learn to deal with out it! You dont want you child walking around talking with a pacifier in their mouth at 4 yrs old!
    mrsmamaj

Answer by mrsmamaj at 10:26 AM on May. 24, 2009

• first i made it only for bed time...the passy never left his bed. then i took it away completely...there were a couple of sleepless nights but then he never missed it after that! :)
    mominbolt

Answer by mominbolt at 10:32 AM on May. 24, 2009

• well my lil one started walking at 7months she will be one next month and still has hers,she only uses it at night to help her sleep,she is breastfed so a pacy helps me out,i plan on taking it away soon,when she tears a whole in it with her teeth
    angelairelan

Answer by angelairelan at 10:43 AM on May. 24, 2009

• My oldest threw hers over our balcony. It had an attacher that always just hung off it & she said it was a worm. So... I told her a bird ate the worm! She never asked/cried 4 her "bobo" again! I later dug it outta the bushes. She's now 11 & I still have that paci! Lol
    bridgeh2o

Answer by bridgeh2o at 11:01 AM on May. 24, 2009

• We took the first at 13 months.

We took the second at 10 months because the third was almost here (then the booger came early!)

We took the third at 4 months because his suck wasn't strong enough to keep it in his mouth.
    TiccledBlue

Answer by TiccledBlue at 11:36 AM on May. 24, 2009

• It all depends on your child, circumstances and parenting style. What worked for me was that whenever he dropped the paci I would put it in my pocket (out of sight out of mind) which really streched the time with out it. As I saw he was doing well without it a majority of the time I kept the out of sight/out of mind and started setting "rules" only for sleeping, car, and/or stress (drs. office-- shots). My son was pretty much done with paci a little after 1 yr. at which time the dr. suggested letting him take it more b/c little sis was born but he didn't really use it .
    Out of sight, out of mind works for me b/c it seems less stressfull. WHY CREATE STRESS AND DRAMA, its a paci, its detachable and easy. Now his little sis does fingers, try getting that habit gone.
    The deal is the earlier the better, even 7-8mons is not too early to start, with understandings for stress times, like teething, shots...
    MamiJaAyla

Answer by MamiJaAyla at 11:37 AM on May. 24, 2009

• luckily my son never took to a pacifier, so I don't have to worry about it. However, my 27 month old step-daughter has one, but her father && I think she is too old to be walkin around with a pacifier in her mouth, so when she is here on the weekends she only gets it for nap-time && bed-time. Like these other moms say, "out of sight, out of mind." once they don't see it for awhile, they forget all about it.
    HisMommySince07

Answer by HisMommySince07 at 11:47 AM on May. 24, 2009

• My daughter was on one until March of this year. She will be 4 in June. Now before you all start fuming at me. We live with my mother and she did not want to listen to her "scream. So finally she was gone for a week, and we took it cold turkey from her. And what's funny is she did not really scream about it, she would whine at bed time she wanted her binkie. We just told her we much have left it in the hotel in Denver. It worked.
    Katie911

Answer by Katie911 at 12:06 PM on May. 24, 2009

• bren's pacifier got left in a friends car. he asked for it and my husband told him the "pacifier fairy" collected it because they clean them up and give them to new babies that REALLY need them.. he cried the first night and that was rough. i almost sent the husband to go buy one but we ended up not doing it. bren was about a year old.
    KarenRenee59

Answer by KarenRenee59 at 12:28 PM on May. 24, 2009