should my daughter..

my daughter is graduating from 8th grade this year I want to knosw she wants to work my question is should I let her work with pay or should she work as a voluteer?She is 13 yrs old she will be 14 in November

incarnita

Asked by incarnita at 10:21 AM on May. 24, 2009 in Teens (13-17)

• I think if she wants to get a job, she should work for money. This will show her the value of a dollar!
    mrsmamaj

Answer by mrsmamaj at 10:24 AM on May. 24, 2009

• Check your local laws, but in many states they have to be at least 14 yrs old for working papers to legally work. I don't see anything wrong with her getting paid, I worked and got paid since I was her age. BUT it's very important to sit down and discuss what she will be doing with the money. My parents helped me set up my own savings account and they took me to the bank each week to deposit my check, I was allowed to keep what I wanted for spending money, but I think it was best that they had an idea of how much money I was walking around with. Long story short I was able to buy my own car by the time I was 17.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 10:27 AM on May. 24, 2009

• Except for baby sitting, walking dogs or mowing grass..She is legally to young to get a real job..Don't you have to be 16??

Answer by louise2 at 10:27 AM on May. 24, 2009

• Once she turns 14 let her go for it! :]
    KareemsMami

Answer by KareemsMami at 10:30 AM on May. 24, 2009

• i agree with the first poster
    mominbolt

Answer by mominbolt at 10:30 AM on May. 24, 2009

• My 13 year old (also about to graduate from 8th grade) is a Red Cross certified babysitter; she generally charges $7 and hour. It turns out that families prefer mature, young teens who know CPR and first aid to flighty college students. She has three families that she sits for regularly, and sometimes makes $75 over a weekend. She also volunteers twice a week after school as a homework helper at the afterschool program she attend through 6th grade.
    For the summer she will be at overnight camp for 4 weeks, and will be volunteering in the art room at at day camp for four week. The other weeks will be spent babysitting, hanging out friends and family and visiting her out-of-town grandmother.
    She has a checking account with a debit card and a savings account (both linked to mine). 1/2 of her earnings go to checking and 1/2 to savings (to be used for college).

Answer by rkoloms at 10:34 AM on May. 24, 2009

• I think a child that age should not be working. Their job is to be a student and kid. If she wants to babysit that is different. Also, in some states you have to be atleast 15 1/2 to be able to legally work and they have to have a work permit. Don't rush the work thing, she will have many many years to work and make money, let her be a kid because childhood only happens one time and she should enjoy it. The only way my almost 13 yr old will be working is if he maintains a B average and work doesn't interfere with school or baseball.

Answer by tyfry7496 at 1:13 PM on May. 24, 2009

• Let her make some money. I wish my 14 year old could find a job, but around here they do not hire 14 year olds.
    teampalmer4

Answer by teampalmer4 at 2:25 PM on May. 24, 2009

• If she can get a job where she can make some money then that would be great! It would teach her the value of a doller and teach her to save up for things that she wants that you wont get her lol. But she will have to get a work permit from her school. And most places you have to be 16 at the least to work. So it might be hard to find a job that will pay her. But if she cant work for money then if she wants to then let her do some volenteer work. Either way it will teach her about hard work.
    Shelii

Answer by Shelii at 3:57 PM on May. 24, 2009

• That should be up to her & the local laws. If a paying job is not an option, a volunteer job can be a valuable learning experience.
    nysa00

Answer by nysa00 at 4:34 PM on May. 24, 2009