what is a good sunscreen for my 5 week old?

i have an outdooe gathering to go to & she'll be sheltered, but just in case.....

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 9:06 AM on Jun. 21, 2008 in Babies (0-12 months)

• You aren't suppose to use sunscreen before a baby is 6 months old.
    purpleducky

Answer by purpleducky at 9:07 AM on Jun. 21, 2008

• I used banana boat for babies and it worked great..they also have a sunscreen through aveeno that i've heard is popular too..i know that the bottle says not for babies under six months, but i asked my doctor and she said that it was fine...as long as it wasnt' an everyday thing. DONT FORGET HER LITTLE HAT!
    froghopper

Answer by froghopper at 9:09 AM on Jun. 21, 2008

• I agree with purpleducky. At 5 weeks, you shouldn't put sunscreen on her. Keep her in the shade and put a hat on her. Her skin is too sensitive as a newborn, so try to spend as little time as possible outside.
    bailey0919

Answer by bailey0919 at 9:16 AM on Jun. 21, 2008

• A 5 week old shouldn't be out in the sun...
    CindyLou55

Answer by CindyLou55 at 9:17 AM on Jun. 21, 2008

• A child shouldn't use sunscreen until 6 months of age. However, you CAN have them out in the sun. Letting your child be in direct sunlight for 10-15m daily aids in their production of Vitamin D which is necessary especially if your baby is breastfed.
    MamaPyratekk

Answer by MamaPyratekk at 9:35 AM on Jun. 21, 2008

• I agree with MamaPyratekk. 10-15 mins is really good for children (and us, as adults!). Because she is so sensitive right now, I wouldn't do the sunscreen thing- just be sure after the 15 minutes that she is under shade. The hat is very important too!
    LolaMama

Answer by LolaMama at 10:24 AM on Jun. 21, 2008

• NO sunscreen till at least six months.
    Mimomof3boys

Answer by Mimomof3boys at 10:24 AM on Jun. 21, 2008

• I do not know if it is the best thing to do, but i have used sunscreen designed for babies (it claims to be as mild as water). He was about your babies age at the time and did not seem to harm him at all. You can always ask your ped just to make sure.
    kimmie10575

Answer by kimmie10575 at 2:10 PM on Jun. 21, 2008

• I disagree with some of the other moms... your baby can DEFINITELY be in the sun, but only a little bit. Natural sunlight is GREAT for your skin in little amounts. You shouldn't use sunscreen on her, but get her a big floppy hat & put her in a stroller with the hood on. Enjoy being outside with her!
    crazysocks830

Answer by crazysocks830 at 1:24 AM on Jun. 22, 2008

• Your baby is way too young to be in the direct sun. I told a woman that yesterday at the beach. However, a big hat, sunglasses, and light clothing covered your baby should be fine in small doses
    ChasesMommy0115

Answer by ChasesMommy0115 at 11:05 PM on Jun. 22, 2008