Has anyone tried castor oil to help induce labor? How far along were you and

did it work?

MzGregg

Asked by MzGregg at 10:50 AM on May. 24, 2009 in Pregnancy

• It doesn't work, just a myth and all it will do is give you the chits and may cause your baby to chit in utero which can cause them to inhale it while being born and that can be very dangerous. Talk to your OB before doing anything. Let that baby come when he or she is ready. Pregnancy isn't easy.

Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 10:52 AM on May. 24, 2009

• That does not work..It will just make you s**t .

Answer by louise2 at 10:53 AM on May. 24, 2009

• Castor oil is used mainly for inductions recomended by a midwife. And is generally only recomended if you are past your due date and your cervix is already ripe and dilating on it's own. If your cervix isn't ready, baby will not come, it may cause false albor, but nothing that will really benefit you in the long run. The link with making the bay have a bm in utero is thought to be more because it is used in women who are over due and that's when the baby is more likely to do this anyway, not because of the castor oil as it doesnt enter the blood stream and pas to the baby but just goes through your digestive tract. If you are going to do it, I would ask yor Dr first and ask if your dilating at all, or if your cervix is still high and firm, and a comon recipe is 2 tablespoons in a glas of OJ and then rinse it down with another glkass. It usually empties your bowels in about 3 hours, go take a hot bath, and relax as much cont
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:08 AM on May. 24, 2009

• as posible in a hot bath, by the time you are ready to get out in about 2/3 of women will have started contracting. IF THEY ARE READY THAT IS!!! will not work if your body is not ready for it too, so please dont if you havent talked to yor dr and also wait till you are due or even a week late. It is not a comfortable experience to have the shits and be throwing up during contractions.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:10 AM on May. 24, 2009

• Castor Oil is NOT safe. It can cause the mother to become severely dehydrated and can cause the baby to release meconium which can be extremely dangerous and even deadly if proper medical attention isn't given in a timely manner.

I'm about to leave for church but if you check this again around 1 or 2pm today I'll post the SAFE natural induction methods that my doula gave me.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:37 AM on May. 24, 2009

• This is a BAD BAD BAD idea!! Like PP said it can be extremely dangerous. My first dd was born at 34 weeks (not due to castor oil) while in the NICU with her another mom in there as loudly talking about how she had used Castor oil. I thought the nurse in the room was going to come out of her skin! She flipped out and started telling the lady how bad that could have been for her baby. I had never even heard of it before that but since then I tell everyone it's a bad idea!

momof030404

Answer by momof030404 at 11:50 AM on May. 24, 2009

• I am not advocating doing this. I, however, did do it once. I was already at my due date. I drank 3 ounces...not an easy task. The baby was born about five hours later. If your body is not ready to give birth then you will just get diarrhea. If the diarrhea lasts too long then you will be depleting your body of nutrients. You should ask your doctor before doing anything. I had my midwife keeping a close eye on me.
    momtoeight

Answer by momtoeight at 11:56 AM on May. 24, 2009

• Here are the labor induction methods that my doula gave me. She got them from a midwife, whom I've also spoke with, that uses these things in her practice when women are at risk for medical induction.

-Raspberry Leaf Tea- Tones the uterus by causing small contractions. For some women this can be the push they need to go into labor and it's VERY good for your uterus. It's actually been shown to reduce labor time, pain and postpartum bleeding.

-Cumin Tea- 1 cumin seed in 1 cup of boiling water, left to steep for 5 minutes. 1 CUP PER HOUR PER DAY. Place a cube of raw potato in the cup to soak up bitterness and add honey or sugar to sweeten. This is used by midwives in Latino communities for women who are at risk for medical induction or for those who are determined to be at a higher risk if they carry past a certain date such as women with gestational diabetes but is effective for many, many women.

Anonymous

• Nipple Stimulation- Breast Pump for 2 minutes, take a 3 minute break, pump again for 2 minute and then take a 20 minute break and walk. If it doesn't bring on contractions you can bring pumping up to 3 minutes, take a 2 minute break, pump again for 3 minutes but then take another 20 minute break to walk. This is the method suggested to prevent hyper stimulation of the uterus as in other breast pump induction methods.

Sex- there are prostaglandins in human sperm that help to ripen the cervix. Interestingly these are the SAME prostaglandins that are in Cervidil which is derived from pig sperm and used in inductions in the hospital. Also orgasm can stimulate contractions. Lay in bed for 30 minutes after having intercourse for the sperm to set on your cervix.
    Anonymous

• Exercise-Exercises that use gravity such as walking, hula dancing, belly dancing, etc. can help apply pressure to the cervix, the baby to "drop" and get things going.

Bumpy Car Ride- This may sound like an old wives tale but if your baby isn't in a good position for labor (such as facing forward instead of facing down toward your back) this can help him get into a good position and apply pressure to the cervix. A friend of mine actually did this last week and was contracting by the time she got home!

Acupressure- You can find the points on line that stimulate labor.

Another thing that SHOULD NOT BE USED is any type of Cohosh! Cohosh has been related to excessive bleeding during delivery and infant heart attack!
    Anonymous