If you have a civil wedding with a magistrate (it's the law in my state ugh), do you HAVE to get married at the courthouse?

Or will they come to whatever venue you'd like?

Do some ministers perform civil ceremonies?

Ack, this is all so confusing.

caitxrawks

Asked by caitxrawks at 11:57 AM on May. 24, 2009 in Just for Fun

• I know in in Tx you don't have to get married at a courthouse with a magistrate. They will do it where ever you would like.

itsallabtthem84

Answer by itsallabtthem84 at 12:00 PM on May. 24, 2009

• We got married in the park, in front of the beautiful rose garden. We had a justice of the peace, he was actually a retired judge.

I just found out that in my state, Colorado, anyone can perform a wedding ceremony, no license necessary. You just check a box on the marriage license that says you married yourselves. I don't know what the laws are where you live, you should check it out. I know several people here who had somebody that they knew and were close to perform their wedding ceremony.
    Nathskitten

Answer by Nathskitten at 12:08 PM on May. 24, 2009

• I think all you need is a state marriage license and someone to marry you who has the legal right to perform marriage ceremonies.
    Anonymous

• I know when I was MOH for my friend in Oregon, their justice of the peace came down to the beach with us. He did charge an additional fee to travel outside his office but if I remember correctly, it was only about $15. It is the person performing the ceremony that matters, not the location.
    funnyface1204

Answer by funnyface1204 at 1:12 PM on May. 24, 2009