when making potato salad...

do you peel your potatos before or after boiling them? I have an awesome recipe for potato salad, it calls for peeling them afterwards, which I've always done. In my opinion, it's quicker to peel them ahead of time.... it shouldn't affect the taste right????

abelsmama07

Asked by abelsmama07 at 12:19 PM on May. 24, 2009 in Food & Drink

• Right.
    geminisummerz

Answer by geminisummerz at 12:24 PM on May. 24, 2009

• I wouldn't think it would affect the taste either way. I always peel mine and cube them before I cook them, unless I'm using red potatoes. Red potatoes tend to hold up better even if you accidentally cook them too long, and by not having to peel them, it saves lots of time & it adds nice color to your potato salad. I've gotten to where I only use red potatoes for my potato salad now.

BlessedMommy64

Answer by BlessedMommy64 at 12:24 PM on May. 24, 2009

• Before I cook them i peel and cut them in little quarters and throw them in the pot with the eggs.
    diamondmamma

Answer by diamondmamma at 12:27 PM on May. 24, 2009

• Peel before. I get to be in such a hurry if I was pealing soft potatoes, I would probably mush them! lol
    2-1CavWife

Answer by 2-1CavWife at 12:32 PM on May. 24, 2009

• i agree....i always peel mine before too. I dont know why you would wait. I bet its to get the nutrients from the potato skin to seep in to the potato. Thats my guess....and I doubt its an educated guess!! haha. Good luck on the potato salad!
    angie_david

Answer by angie_david at 12:34 PM on May. 24, 2009

• If I don't want the peel in the salad then I peel them before & cute into chunks. But if I want the peel in the salad I just leave it on & cut into chunks.

itsallabtthem84

Answer by itsallabtthem84 at 12:45 PM on May. 24, 2009

• cook them skin on so that they don't absorb alot of water
    nateandlo

Answer by nateandlo at 2:57 PM on May. 24, 2009

• peeling after will just maintain the shape a little better.
    luvschocolate

Answer by luvschocolate at 9:27 PM on May. 24, 2009

• It does make a difference, when cooked with the skin on the texture is much nicer. They don't soak up as much water.
    Cynthje

Answer by Cynthje at 4:23 PM on May. 26, 2009