for those who actually read dr. ferber's book and have successfully used the CIO method (no bashing, please, i am sensitive, plus i would never bash anyone myself!)

i read his book and have been using the progressive approach explained in chapter 4. she now sleeps in her crib in her room whereas before, she slept in my room in my arms. however, i have a question because she still wakes alot throughout the night. when they wake up in the middle of the night, are we supposed to go to them immediately and then wait the couple of minutes to go back in there OR are we supposed to wait a couple of minutes and then go to her? the book doesn't clearly answer this question.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 12:47 PM on May. 24, 2009 in General Parenting

• Well I would say it depends on the cry. If it's a "scream" go to her immediately and check to see what's wrong. If it's a "whimper" let it go for a few minutes because she may have moved and woke herself up and she might be able to soothe herself back to sleep.

legalmommy101

Answer by legalmommy101 at 12:58 PM on May. 24, 2009

• I did not use that particular book but I did use a CIO method. With DD I would once she was no longer feed every 3-4 hours id she cried during the night I would give her a few min to fall back asleep on her own. Usually no longer that 3-4 min as long as she was not all out screaming. (If she was screaming I would not wait it out I would go check on her. ) Nine times out of ten she would go back to sleep after a little crying. If it did last I would go talk to her and rub her back for a min and then tell her goodnight and leave and wait 3-4 min and repeat if needed . I would do this 2 times then after the second time after that I would go ahead and change her feed her (give a cup of water after 9 or so months) and put her back to bed. Usually that did the trick. I think knowing your daughters age would help me to answer your question better if you are interested how I did it.
    But_Mommie

Answer by But_Mommie at 1:07 PM on May. 24, 2009