Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Does anyone know any body who has a heavy duty stroller for a special needs child. am in need of one!

I have my daughter that is 8 years old and is drop full weight she cannot asist in getting up or to getting around. Just for your information. she was born normal and suffer permenent brain damage so she is fully dependent on me. feel free to ask any more questions...

Answer Question

Asked by C.F at 12:52 PM on May. 24, 2009 in School-Age Kids (5-8)

Level 1 (0 Credits)
Answers (8)
  • I am sure that they sell strollers especially for this purpose.

    Do you have health insurance? check with her Dr's to see if you could qualify to receive one free though insurance. Never know until you check :)


    Answer by mom2twobabes at 12:56 PM on May. 24, 2009

  • It sounds like what you need is really a pediatric wheelchair, not a stroller. Medical supply companies carry them.


    Answer by Anonymous at 1:07 PM on May. 24, 2009

  • What you need is a wheelchair not a stroller. I'd look online and consult with ins. on how to get one. Also talk to her school they may have some good pointers on good resources for you.
    I'm not sure what drop full weight means??? nor what her being born disabled or becoming disabled later has to do with anything unless it was a very recent occurence and there for you don't know where to look for resources.
    If its the latter Parent to Parent and ADA are both excellent places to start and depending on how your daughter became disabled there may also be situation and/or disease specific organizations for parents.
    I am an educator that has worked with severly disabled studdent for several years. Feel free to write me if you need.

    Answer by MamiJaAyla at 4:11 PM on May. 24, 2009

  • I have heard Macleran sells them (I was looking to get a stroller of higher weight supportage for my 5yo son in DisneyWorld) The boards I was on say they also have bigger ones that support more weight for special needs issues - wasn't able to find it with a quick trip to their website but maybe you'll have better luck :

    Answer by Anonymous at 5:18 PM on May. 24, 2009

  • Check with your doctor and insurance company about something through durable medical equipment. I should think it would be covered through that.

    Answer by Anonymous at 7:03 PM on May. 24, 2009

  • Both private & state insurances cover DME (Durable Medical Equipment) for children with disabilities. You should get a referral for a seating evaluation from your child's primary care provider to determine what type of seating would work best for her. Seating evals can be done by any qualified OT or PT - rehab clinics & children's hospitals are good places to have one done, but check w/your insurance provider to see who they deal with. You want to have the eval done b/c there are hundreds of choices & you want to get something that will meet both her & your needs. At the eval you will also be able to trial equipment before deciding what you want. You may find that after trialing a medical stroller that you would prefer a wheelchair or vice versa, so don't just take the first thing offered or buy something b/c it is available or affordable, do your research & be sure that is the one that meets all of your needs.

    Answer by mom2aspclboy at 9:47 PM on May. 24, 2009

  • This company makes them... they hold up to 200 pounds.

    Answer by kaycee14 at 12:22 AM on May. 25, 2009

  • Hello Its C.F I have a wheel chair its just that I have to pull it apart cause I have a small car. When I talk about full drop weight I mean she does not know How to assist me. She is like a noodle she is 8 years old but she is like an infant that relys on me for everything.

    Answer by C.F at 7:39 AM on May. 28, 2009

Join CafeMom now to contribute your answer and become part of our community. It's free and takes just a minute.