Is my son spoiled?

He is playing on the floor, and i leave the room to go to the kitchen or the bathroom and he juts screams bloody murder. He is 6 months old. When i come back in do I let him keep crying or do I pick him up?

lalagus

Asked by lalagus at 1:06 PM on May. 24, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• It sounds like he needs to be held and comforted. Why wouldn't you pick him up?

Answer by rkoloms at 1:10 PM on May. 24, 2009

• no, pick him up
    RomansMom25

Answer by RomansMom25 at 1:15 PM on May. 24, 2009

• When kids are that little they don't understand that you just went in the other room. If they don't see you, they think you are gone forever. 30 seconds and 5 minutes is the same to them. What you could try to do is talk to him from the other room, so he can still hear you. Sometimes that helps.
    I don't think it is spoiling them to pick them up when they are scared. He needs that kind of security from you.
    LilyandEmmasMom

Answer by LilyandEmmasMom at 1:18 PM on May. 24, 2009

• Pick him up. Babies can not be spoiled by love and attention.
    sarahmae3

Answer by sarahmae3 at 1:18 PM on May. 24, 2009

• At 6 months of age, babies are starting the "attachment" phase and they get upset when they cannot see you or you're not engaging them. It's what most babies do at this stage. You need to just pick him up. It's impossible to spoil an infant. They need your care and need to know that you'll respond to them when they have an anxiety or need.
    NovemberLove

Answer by NovemberLove at 1:24 PM on May. 24, 2009

• Pick him up. If he can't see you, he can't comprehend where you went! Love him now, they grow too fast!
    4kidsandadog

Answer by 4kidsandadog at 1:55 PM on May. 24, 2009

• He just hasn't figured out "object permanence" yet. That's all.

Start now working with him if you wish. Step out of the room and as you do, tell him "I'll be right back." then step out of sight...then right back in sight and say "See, I told you I'd be right back!" and pick him up.

Each time, just make it a little longer that you are out of sight. It might take a while, or he may catch on pretty quickly that when you say "I'll be right back" you mean it.

Or...take him with you everywhere until he develops object permanence on his own. Either way works!
    TiccledBlue

Answer by TiccledBlue at 2:44 PM on May. 24, 2009

• He's only 6 months old, honey. At that age they don't know how to manipulate. Pick him up.
    Sassinaglass

Answer by Sassinaglass at 6:52 PM on May. 24, 2009

• several people have told me that i can spoil him at this age and i dont want to be a spoiled little boy and believe me i want to pick him up. this is my first time being a mother.
    lalagus

Answer by lalagus at 7:51 PM on May. 24, 2009

• Several people are wrong. He needs to be picked up. I'm going to let you in on a secret that few first time moms know: follow your gut and you wont be wrong.
    Arisce

Answer by Arisce at 11:28 PM on May. 24, 2009