is it normal for a 3 day old baby eat 4 oz of milk?

she just wants to eat them all, i normally give her 2 oz but i check everything and she is still hungry i offer another bottle and she eats it all, you think i'm feeding her too much even if she cries for more than the 2 0z?

maryfer

Asked by maryfer at 1:11 PM on May. 24, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• I think its just fine! some babies metabolisms are higher then others, so they need to eat more. My baby boy would eat anywhere from 3 to 5 oz in his first two months of live outside the womb.
    soonmommyof3

Answer by soonmommyof3 at 1:15 PM on May. 24, 2009

• live is suppose to be life.
    soonmommyof3

• A newborn baby's stomach is only about the size of their first and holds only about 1/4-1oz. I think you may be misinterpreting her signs of need for comfort or to suck on something with being hungry. Overfeeding can cause her to become fussy and, yes, even after being overfed they'll suck or eat more for comfort even though their stomachs are upset. My son was the same way when he was first born when I bottle fed him as a suppliment while waiting for my milk to come in.

I'd try a pacifier and try comforting her in other ways before giving her any more. It's normal for her to want to eat frequently, as like I said, their stomachs are small but I wouldn't give her that much in one sitting.

That's just my personal opinion though. Good luck!
    NovemberLove

Answer by NovemberLove at 1:18 PM on May. 24, 2009

• There's info about this on What to Expect the First Year. Do you have a copy? If not, I recommend it. In the section about formula feeding, it says that feeding with a bottle can result in a baby feeling the need to finish the bottle, even when they're full and should stop eating. It gives you tips on how to feel out what's hunger and what's just an impulse to suck.
    NovemberLove

Answer by NovemberLove at 1:21 PM on May. 24, 2009

• yes that parts true a babys stomach is small on the first day of birht and holds only that about you stated but over the course of ten days they stomach gets bigger. on day three the babys stomach is about the size of a ping pong ball and on day ten the stomach is the size of an extra large chicken egg, but the size will be different, depending on how much you let your baby eat. the more they eat, the bigger the stomach gets. but to much can make the spitup. experts do not recommend over feeding your baby, but I would make she is full, then if she sitll crys, more then likley she is wanted that feeling of sucking on something to sooth her. try giving a binky.
    soonmommyof3

Answer by soonmommyof3 at 1:26 PM on May. 24, 2009

• Feed on demand. If she is still hungry and not spitting it up, give it to her. If she spits up an ounce, then cut back an ounce. You can't overfeed. They'll spit the excess back up, especially at this age.

If you offer her more formula (she shouldn't be drinking milk, unless you mean breast milk!) and she is fussy with the nipple in her mouth then try a pacifier. If you offer more and she drinks readily, then she's hungry and wants the food.

My kids were taking 8oz every 2-3 hours at 6 weeks.
    TiccledBlue

Answer by TiccledBlue at 2:29 PM on May. 24, 2009