Getting baby to sleep by himself

How do i get my one month old to go to sleep by himself?As soon as i lay him down he wakes up crying.I've been having to sleep with him laying on top of me just so i can get enough sleep to keep my sanity.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 1:12 PM on May. 24, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• Swaddle, white noise, a swing...
    RomansMom25

Answer by RomansMom25 at 1:14 PM on May. 24, 2009

• well, what i did..........i started after about 6 weeks...and anytime my child woke up in the middle of the night, i would go in his room to breast feed him. Although its much easier to do it in your own bed so you can fall asleep....but i had to make myself get up and go in his room and feed him in his room and put him back in his bed, that way he got used to the fact that thats the way it was. It is very difficult. But you have to be consistent and not let them sleep on you when you get tired of staying up trying to get them to go to sleep in their own room. Just keep up the good work...it will come. Mines 4 next month now, and has slept in his own bed since he was 6 weeks old....and no hes not perfect, there is times when he sleeps in our bed in the middle of the night when he wakes up.....but for the most part, he sleeps alone
    angie_david

Answer by angie_david at 1:19 PM on May. 24, 2009

• swaddling works wonders! Try patting his back til he is soothed instead of holding him to sleep...its worth a try :)
    leann74016

Answer by leann74016 at 1:20 PM on May. 24, 2009

• oh yea, and also...i made sure i had something that i did everytime i put him down to sleep....like a routine. that way he knew when his mobile turned on and he got a kiss and a nite nite...he was ready and knew it was time. If you just repeat it over and over everytime you put him to bed, they learn and will feel more comfortable about whats going on
    angie_david

Answer by angie_david at 1:22 PM on May. 24, 2009

• I do a routine with my 11 week old son. At 830, we have bath time. Then I lotion him up, put a diaper on him, dress him in PJ's and by 9 pm, time for a bottle. He eats that and by 930 is very drowsy, so I go ahead and lay him in his crib still awake. He usually makes noise for a few minutes, then falls asleep on his own. he is now sleeping until 630 am. He just started sleeping through the night 2 weeks ago, and I just started doing the night time routine about 3 weeks ago. Give it time. Sometimes babies just don't want to be alone. Is your child in their own room, or sleeping in yours in a bassinet or something? My doctor told me a child that young can't be spoiled yet, so don't worry right now about picking him/her up if they are crying.
    irishangel81

Answer by irishangel81 at 1:34 PM on May. 24, 2009