Cry it out?

My son is a year and a half. Most of the time when I put him to bed he cries for less than 5 minutes. Is that cry it out becuase I let him cry for a little while before he falls asleep?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 1:21 PM on May. 24, 2009 in Toddlers (1-2)

• It depends on YOUR definition of "cry it out". By my definition, it's not.
    TiccledBlue

Answer by TiccledBlue at 2:47 PM on May. 24, 2009

• I think 5 min of crying is a somewhat normal thing for a child to do when put to bed.....i think more of a "cry it out" is for 10-15 min or longer......and my twin sister did this and after he cried for 30 min he quit, and didnt do it ever again after that....so it does work
    angie_david

Answer by angie_david at 1:25 PM on May. 24, 2009

• Crying it out is letting the child cry until they fall asleep with little intervention from you. Only comforting the child for a few times before letting them cry it out until they are asleep on their own.
    brailynsmama08

Answer by brailynsmama08 at 1:26 PM on May. 24, 2009

• No. Like Angie said, i think it's normal for children to be upset about bedtime. CIO is for longer periods of time.
    And as for braily saying that "it works" ...for some children. And it also depends on the age. I will NEVER let a baby under 1 year CIO. But a year and a half ...you're dealing with a toddler now. That's much different.
    outstandingLove

Answer by outstandingLove at 1:38 PM on May. 24, 2009

• Crying it out would be what my mom did with me when i was a baby. I would never go to sleep so she would just turn up the tv when it was my nap time or bed time and i would cry for like 20 min before i would just pass out lol. Its normal for kids to cry for a short period of time like 5 min because they would rather stay up with you. Kids like to be with their parents and they will try to stay awake as long as they can so they can stay up with you. Its kinda cute.
    Shelii

Answer by Shelii at 2:47 PM on May. 24, 2009

• Depends on your definition! Your child is 18 months, so most people are a bit more relaxed about some crying. Allowing a baby to scream themselves to sleep to "teach" them something is what most people consider cry it out.
    apexmommy

Answer by apexmommy at 4:50 PM on May. 24, 2009