42 sex offenders..all crimes against children

live in an apartment complex 4 miles from my house. What would you do? I don't know if this is some kind of housing place for them, or if they all know that this place will take them. Anyone can move into these apartments. Not that I would want to, they are trashy. But there are people living there with children. I have seen kids outside all the time. Surely the management notifies these people of their other "tenents". I'm sure there are many that do not know all these child molesters live in this complex. This pisses me off. What would you do to get the word out? Or get them out?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 1:22 PM on May. 24, 2009 in Politics & Current Events

• I have dozens of sex offender living within a few miles of my house and I live in a nice neighborhood. They live everywhere there is nothing we can do about it, but teach our kids to stay away from people they don't know.

Anonymous

• Unfortunately, these people have been released back out to the public. The real problem lies in why they were released-I would be contacting your legislators about this.

But-technically-they have served their time. The only thing you can do is protect your kids.
    Anonymous

• This is public information so these parents in the apartment complex should know about these sex offenders. Of course, the parents might not know how to obtain this information. I think the parents need to be told who their neighbors are but at the same time, you need to be careful not to get hurt yourself. Maybe put up a few fliers (but at night when no one can see you!) or see if you can directly contact the parents in this complex. You could also call your local media & see if they know about the situation. It might be something they could do a story on & people would find out that way. Sex offenders have to live somewhere, I suppose, but I can't understand why they are able to live in an apartment complex with children in the same complex.
    funnyface1204

Answer by funnyface1204 at 1:25 PM on May. 24, 2009

• We live in a nice area too, but we just got a notice in the mail that yet another sex offender lives in the apartments down the street. By law, when a sex offender registers, a notice with their name address and sex crime details is to be mailed to all the residents within a certain radius of miles to notify them about it. We get them every so often.

BlessedMommy64

Answer by BlessedMommy64 at 1:28 PM on May. 24, 2009

• I understand they do have to live somewhere and they have apparently served their time. What baffles me on this is that they are all crimes against children. All in the same complex. 42 of them is alot in this area for them to be concentrated in one complex. If it was some type of halfway house type of thing, I would think people should know. But I had no idea until I checked out the registry...It's just creepy.
    Anonymous

• One would think it's be simplier just to have them all together to keep an eye on them instead of having them spread out everywhere. Call the police and just ask them. They would know since they have to sign in with them. I agree that mothers with children who live there should be warned but since they have been released and paid their debt to society they do have a right to live where they want and (you won't like this) but to not be harassed. Maybe there is a community watch group. I know there are many in our community and it make me leary about letting the grandkids out to play without supervision. Good luck on this. Awareness is the key to prevention imo

Answer by admckenzie at 1:29 PM on May. 24, 2009

• "One would think it's be simplier just to have them all together to keep an eye on them instead of having them spread out everywhere"

That is true. Never thought of that. Just would prefer it to be a little further away lol
    Anonymous

• Well, what if a sex offender buys a house and then someone decides to build a park next door? They will have to move. It isn't easy for a sex offender to find a place to live. Where would you have them live?

It is a parents job to protect and teach their children. I don't worry about who is living next door because I keep an eye on my daughter at all times. It is just as likely that a stranger who lives nowhere near me could be strolling looking for a child so I am always paying attention. It is more likely that your child will be seriously hurt in a car accident or in your own home than to be the victim of a sex offender.

These people have served the time required, you may not like it, but they have the right to live peacefully. I wouldn't freak out if I learned that my neighbor was a sex offender. I would keep my eye on him and on my daughter.
    casperskitty

Answer by casperskitty at 1:37 PM on May. 24, 2009

• If you can, go to the complex and make a note of which apartments the children live in. Then make up flyers notifying them of the sex offenders and how very many of them there are, and send them to the addresses the parents live in, private first-class mail and anonymous. The ones you happen to miss will be told by the others, at least some of whom will raise holy hell. Put something like "From a friend of your children" as a return address, and if possible, hand-address the envelopes so they don't mistake it for junk mail and throw it away unopened. IT IS NOT AGAINST THE LAW TO DO THIS! (In case you were wondering.) You might include the website listing the sex offenders addresses, and the telephone number of the local police sex crimes unit, so they have a way of verifying what the flyer says. A few concerned parents calling the police will get a lot of action started, too.
    Anonymous

• It is a parents job to protect and teach their children. I don't worry about who is living next door because I keep an eye on my daughter at all times.

Teach your child, and watch your child, but there is absolutely NO WAY you can watch her every second of every day, 24/7, especially as she gets older. You cannot keep a child of 10 or more wrapped in cotton wool and safely secreted in your basement. She will want to go to friends house, the swimming pool (where she will want to go to the refreshment stand or the bathroom without you holding her hand), sleepovers, or just outside in the yard for some fresh air without her mother watching her think.
    Anonymous