Question for LDS mamas

It is believed that Jesus and God appeared to Joseph Smith, yes? What signs were shown that he had had this experience? In the Old Testament, when Moses saw the face of God, his face glowed so brilliantly that the people couldn't look on him; it was blinding. I don't see that anything like this is recorded with Smith.

I'm not asking to be challenging, I'm genuinely curious about your perspective on this, and I'd appreciate if others replies refrained from disrespecting the LDS faith. Thanks!

Collinsky

Asked by Collinsky at 3:06 PM on May. 24, 2009 in Religion & Beliefs

• I am not in anyway a believer but if I remember correctly from reading about Joseph Smith he reported his first vision as being surrounded by a terrifying darkness, then suddenly there was a light brighter than the sun & said something to the effect of "their greatness and brightness was too great to describe," speaking of both God & Jesus, I think. I believe he also claimed to have been drained of his strength for a time by the experience. If my memory is faulty I apologize. It has been a while since I read about Joseph Smith.
    nysa00

Answer by nysa00 at 3:34 PM on May. 24, 2009

• nysa00 is correct in her description. But for those of us who believe its more than that. Joseph's teaching and the fact that he has translated the Book Of Mormon, we believe is prove enough that he was called of God to be the Prophet of the Restoration. We gain our testimony of these facts through fasting and prayer. The Lord has said to study things out in our mind and in our heart and that if they be true we would feel the burning of the Spirit in our bossum. I have felt that and can tell you from experience it is an feeling like no other in the world. Also the Lord has said that if it is not of Him, or if it is not right than you will experience a "stupor" of though concerning that thing, but that if it is from Him you will have great clarity of thought. This is something Satan can not give you, great clarity of thought. That is why I know the teachings of this Church are true.
    MtnDesertMama

Answer by MtnDesertMama at 5:19 PM on May. 24, 2009

• the 2 moms ahead of me are correct. I would further advise you to go to www.mormon.org and read about the account and more about our beliefs as well. No one will know you were there unless you leave your contact info for more information or request a copy of the Book of Mormon. I hope that helps you and that you can gain even more answers to arising questions you may have. Good luck!
    ~Rachael~
    my3sonsinMD

Answer by my3sonsinMD at 5:26 PM on May. 24, 2009