How do I grow some balls? (not literally)

I need to "grow some balls" to be able to stand up to my ex and talk to him about our son and the whole situation.. I dont know why, but I'm scared to. I can stand up to anyone else in the world and tell them what I think,but not him. Does anyone have any suggestions..?

Example: I can email him and tell him what I think- or on the phone- but face to face.. yeah right- forget it.. I just get all quiet and agree with whatever he says and I need to stop because he is walking allllll over me!!

Asked by shenae704 at 9:07 AM on Jun. 21, 2008 in General Parenting

• I used to have that same problem. I have an ex that i could just never say no to. I wasn't afraid of him..he just had a hold over me that i could never understand. I suggest writing down what you want to tell him..have it all planned out. i know it might seem silly to take notes with you, but you might get flustered and not get to say everything you need to. If you are physically afraid of him make sure to take someone with you..otherwise i'd go it alone, otherwise it puts him on the defensive and will not go well for either of you. Make it casual and ask him to meet you for will less likly escalate into a huge ordeal if you are at a restaurant or a bar.

Answer by froghopper at 9:12 AM on Jun. 21, 2008

• I have a similar thing going on, well did have. Now all arrangements get made thru his mother so me and my ex do not speak at all. It works just fine.

Answer by MeAndLo at 2:52 PM on Jun. 21, 2008

• ust keep in mind your son when you're with you ex and your son gonna give you all the balls you need!!

Answer by shantee32 at 2:53 PM on Jun. 21, 2008

• Get an index card & write down a few things you want to tell him. Try not to get into an argument with him, but tell him you want to have an adult conversation about some things you've had on your mind. Hopefully he'll see that you have your son's best interest in mind & you can both be civil. You are that boy's mother & you have as much "say so" as his dad does. "Growing Balls" doesn't mean "be a bitch"... so like I said, try to have an adult convo with him & take some notes if you need to.

Answer by crazysocks830 at 1:22 AM on Jun. 22, 2008