What is the stupidest baby item you have ever seen?

What is the stupidest or most useless thing you have seen other mom's buy for their babies, or receive as shower gifts? I personally think a baby wipe warmer is ridiculous, lol. Or what about the crib mat thing that alarms you if your baby isn't moving? Or the rubber ducky with the word "HOT" on the bottom of it, as if you can't tell if the water is too hot for the baby?

irishangel81

Asked by irishangel81 at 3:18 PM on May. 24, 2009 in General Parenting

• Honestly I think the cart covers are useless as they take more time to get out plus its one more thing to carry with you. I also think the mitts are stupid as you can cut your child's nails just as easily. I agree on the wipe warmers and the mats that tell you what you kid is or isn't doing. I've also seen some weird things that tell you what a cry means and they cost a ton of money and in reality they don't work but yet some people buy them.
    brailynsmama08

Answer by brailynsmama08 at 3:23 PM on May. 24, 2009

• YES, the mitts suck! I got like 50 pairs of them at my shower and when the Pediatrician walked in to check on my son in the hospital and saw he was wearing them said "Yeah, those don't work. Try socks instead." She was so right! The mitts just fell off because the elastic isn't tight enough. Now I have the confidence to cut my sons nails..LOL. No more sock hands!
    irishangel81

Answer by irishangel81 at 3:28 PM on May. 24, 2009

• I wasted money on a wipe warmer, that was the stupidest thing in the world!!
    Bethsunshine

Answer by Bethsunshine at 3:34 PM on May. 24, 2009

• someone got my the ducky that said hot on the bottom, gave it a shot and it didn't actually turn white (that means hot right...) til the water was to a point where even i wouldn't get into it b/c it was too hot! mittens are pointless they just fall off, i like the pjs you can turn the cuffs over of to cover their nails...
    vabchmommy

Answer by vabchmommy at 3:39 PM on May. 24, 2009

• diaper genies. The first time I had to change out the bag was so smelly (and complicted) I threw it way. It is easier and less smelly to put them in a plastic bag in a the garbage outside.
    Soniam301

Answer by Soniam301 at 3:59 PM on May. 24, 2009

• those microwave bottle sterilizers...

I love my diaper genie...I got it as a shower gift and it comes in VERY handy! Especially when you live in the Northeastern USA and you can't always make it outside to take out the stinky diapers several times per day. To each his own I guess...
    Fallaya

Answer by Fallaya at 4:07 PM on May. 24, 2009

• Helmets for children learning to walk.  Seriously. Children have been learning to walk since man first stood upright and we've managed all these millenia without helmets.

Choke Tube Tester.  Because toilet paper rolls are far too free!

Potty Gloves.  Really. WTF? I'm a compulsive hand washer and even I think this is taking it to extremes.

Avarah

Answer by Avarah at 4:41 PM on May. 24, 2009

• LOL to the helmet! And the choke tube tester.
    apexmommy

Answer by apexmommy at 4:59 PM on May. 24, 2009

• Avarah, I've never heard of potty gloves. Those are hilarious. I mean, wouldn't it take more time to put on the gloves than to just go potty. My ds loves peeing outside. Can you imagine the women that panic with the gloves watching he kid getting ready to pee outside. She'll make him put the gloves on before hand. That's just ridiculous. And the choke tester. It's stupid. It just comes to show that people will make anything. And other people will buy anything.

krissyvelazquez

Answer by krissyvelazquez at 5:04 PM on May. 24, 2009

• I've seen the Helmet in the One Step Ahead magazine recently. I thought that had to be the stupidest thing. I also think Diaper Genies and Wipe Warmers are a waste of money, and what is up with those Walk Assist things? They attach to the kid's waste because, according to them, you shouldn't help your kid walk by holding onto their arms ...
    ap9902

Answer by ap9902 at 5:10 PM on May. 24, 2009