In Muslim communities, is a woman's testimony worth half of a mans?

I'm really curious if this is true or perhaps I'm a victim of propaganda against Islam. If it is true what is the reasoning behind it? We don't have a religion and politics category( a good thing ) so I'll go with religion.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 3:35 PM on May. 24, 2009 in Religion & Beliefs

• In Saudi the women are worth less than half a man.
    Anonymous

• OP here... Is there some logic behind this, did a prophet declare a woman's word as less truthful?
    Anonymous

• If the community follows Islamic law then in court the testimony of two women equals that of one man. There are several reasons why but this is how I understand it. Because in strict Islamic law most women would be at home most of the time (no tv, not much outside influence), thereby increasing the chance of a false identification. If you have ever been exposed suddenly to a bunch of new people you will notice that they mostly look the same, until you get used to looking at seperate features. The other main reason is because a woman may easily be influenced by her husband, and while one woman may be co-erced into giving flase testimony, it is unlikely that two would be and with the same story. To understand this ruling you have to be able to put yourself in the perspective of a woman living in a strict Islamic way. I am pretty much a raving feminist, and this is one of the parts of Islam that is hard for me.
    b_cheerful

Answer by b_cheerful at 10:43 PM on May. 24, 2009

• There is probably more to it, I have just given an overview of my understanding.
    b_cheerful

Answer by b_cheerful at 10:44 PM on May. 24, 2009